• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Diamond X50 question

alternative3d

Nov 10, 2008
Would anyone know if the Diamond X50 VHF/UHF base antenna needs to grounded in order to perform properly?. The reason I am asking is I have this antenna in the corner of the attic and run a Icom 2200H into it. This setup appears to work fine and I always get good reports but I was told that this antenna needs to be grounded otherwise the SWR could be to high and damage the radio. I am somewhat skeptical in accepting this as the antenna has a ground plane but just wanted some advise whether grounding is needed or not.
Thanks

It only needs DC ground for lightning or other electrical surge protection. The ground plane radials provide the RF ground. You have yours in the attic, so a DC ground probably isn't really necessary unless you're worried about a nearby electrical circuit shorting on the antenna somehow.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.