• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Diamonds or Squares (again)?

Technically speaking if it does not have four sides to the element it is not a quad.If it has three sides it is a delta loop beam and if it is a circle it is a loop yagi.Do a Google for "loop yagi". I believe Directive Systems makes loop yagis for UHF.The lowest freq. commercial antenna I have seen is for the 1296 MHz band.I did see a 2m loop yagi in an antenna book however.Then there was the four element 6m octagonal beam.Full circle loops are just not practical below UHF due to the support required.

Hey guys,
Not sure why, but the folks in the know (Bill Orr, Lew McCoy, Signal Engineering, HyGain, Avanti) all use or extol the slight advanage of the quad in a diamond configuration verses a square.

I would guess it has something to with the way the current is distributed along the appex of the radiation point. As we all know, RF (high voltage &/or high current) doesn't like sharp turns or a square point. Perhaps the diamond point makes RF want to jump of the wire better?!?!?!
Inquiring minds want to know,,,,,,,,,

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.