• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

diff between mic PLUGs?

cobrian

Mar 14, 2012
hello radio surfers,

I am still trying to get a mic for my old tubed Galazy V. been doin a little research an found that this radio uses a 3 pin .206 or a 3/16" plug. I would like to know what the diff between a 524WTP avionics plug, PL or PJ 68 plug or the Switchcraft S206 ? I think that all these are for 3 pin connects PTT/Audio/Ground. all help appreciated. cobrian

hello radio surfers,

I am still trying to get a mic for my old tubed Galazy V. been doin a little research an found that this radio uses a 3 pin .206 or a 3/16" plug. I would like to know what the diff between a 524WTP avionics plug, PL or PJ 68 plug or the Switchcraft S206 ? I think that all these are for 3 pin connects PTT/Audio/Ground. all help appreciated. cobrian

OOPs the Switchcraft plug is a S260 instead of a S206. cobrian;)

thx you very much for the tip Unit... especially the timely info concerning the high Z for old tube radios. I had thought in a jiffy that I could make up
a quick momentary switch (PTT)connected to a cheap condenser (Audio)element then wired it to a S206 or P 68 series plug. I vaguely remember something about HI impedences with these old tube radio mics and thought that maybe I could add a high Z matcher or something to the mic circuit?
Your initial thoughts is that its about 10k(Z) ohms vs the usual 600(Z) ohms.
Is there a EZ matching circuit for making the 10k see a 600/1K ohms mic?
again thx Unit 3 and all for opinions. cobrian

Oh yes in answer to your quest about the mic for the Galaxy...I dont know yet ...I havent been able to find the stock spec for the mic. I was not given any mic at all with this radio! cobrian

Last edited:
Try a hiZ to lowZ matching transformer. Think Radio Shack may still have them - not sure. Or eBay it.

Most decent Condenser mics will also require a mic preamp that already has a 'phantom power supply' switch just for condenser mics. Try a Behringer Mic2200 for $100/new or $65/used. Or an M-Audio DMP3 for ~$180 w/xlnt results - IMO. The rest is all hook-up and a PTT.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.