• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Digital repeater or voice recorder

Mar 17, 2006
was at a radio contest just watching and checking things out

this guy had a small box plugged into the radio then not sure if mic plugged into it or not

he was doing a split freq operation
transmitting something like cq contest cqcontest something something something
qsy to and the frequency to which he was recieving

then the other radio was set to that recieving frequency

now this black box not very big
he could set it for i think every minute or every 5 minutes and longer intervals

anyone know what this black box is called

but this little box would automatically key up the transmitter and play the recording then shut down until anohter minute had passed
he never had to touch the transmitter

555;135068...he was doing a split freq operation transmitting something like cq contest cqcontest said:
another LID that doesn't listen where he is transmitting:headbang and on a TIMER at that!!!!

anyway, to answer your question. they are called by different terms. if you do a search for something like : external radio digital voice keyer you should get many hits.

most modern rigs have a built in dvr . i have never used the one in my PROiii

Last edited:
i did the search but really didnt find what im looking for

is there any direct links

just looking for a voice keyer
whats the longest one will retransmit
what intervals are there

heres one that will do just about anything you can ask for http://www.qrz.com/click?id=1541

Up to 10 voice announcements can be stored in the ADS-SR1’s non-volatile memory. Each message can be set to transmit at a specified interval, and a time offset setting allows beacons to be staggered or rotated. Intervals can be from a few seconds up to twelve hours.

less than $100.

Here's MFJ's product:

MFJ Enterprises Inc.

MFJ-434B.jpg

I own that MFJ, they work o.k. but they filter the input audio. If you run stock audio, they will sound identical to your own voice when you get the levels set.

If you run an external audio chain, it will sound a lot narrower on the recording than you actually do....which causes people to be confused when the voice replying to them is different than your CQ recording.

I emailed MFJ asking where they shelve the audio in the circuit and they never replied. I'm a schematic cripple so I couldn't figure it out. I wasn't sure if it is filtering inside or a byproduct of the recording codec.

it sounds kind of like a beacon setup which sends a signal automatically to let other operators know where or what part of the world the band is open.

My newest yaesu's also has a voice recorder so when DXing I dont have to keyup and shout my callsign I simply push a button and it keys and its my voice recording giving my callsign then I can grab the mic if someone answers or responds to the call.

ok something like this
or something that will plug into a cobra or uniden
and key up automatically say every 15 minutes or 30 minutes
going to set it up on the shop to advertise the cb shop
reason is dont have alot of time to walk over to the mic every 15 minutes and advertise and then have to give everyone radio checks

april fools day?

:confused::confused::confused::confused: yeah, i'm gonna be first in line to bring my JUNKE to a cb shop that describes electronic components as little "black boxes";);)

breaker, breaker get your lbb's and swrs fixed here:love:

tell me this isn't an april fools day joke:D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.