• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dipoles

LiL John

Jan 27, 2021
Hello, I have'nt been on for a while, I have a homemade dipole that a freind made for me some time back and now i would like to put it up, my question is i would like to set it up along the side of my house, i have a 35 ft of a 20 and 15 ft of metal pipes, ok, i was thinking of some way of hanging the center loop,
this was made with 3 small tie loops, one cebter and 2 at the ends, so i need to figure out how to hang it in the middel and then tie it to the sides along the
sides in a upside down V, beleive it's called a inverted v, ok so how do you think it would work, i'll guy it with rope of some kind, there is a Balum above the feed point, this should work ok would'nt it.

The farther from the side of the house and any metal objects the better. If no part of the antenna is above the house you can't expect great transmit and receive through the house itself. Mounting it directly on the side of the house will definitely affect performance in signal losses.
It will work though, when conditions allow I regularly make DX contacts to Europe, South America and more on a homebrewed Inverted V that is held off of a balcony about 18".

Good luck and 73

Like Crawdad said, it needs to be away from the house at least by 9 feet (1/4 wave for 27mhz). It may work better for you if you made it a straight across flattop rather than an Inverted V. Also, this is pretty much going to be only for DX for you seeing as it will be horizontally polarized. If you want to also talk with locals around the area, most of them are going to be using verticals. Good luck.

I have one in the attic above the garage that is old trusty due to my vertical having to fight winds. When the vertical takes a beating, old trusty dipole is there to save the day.
The receive is better than transmits in my environment, so it's just the temporary when needed.
Does it work, yes.

Reactions: Crawdad
My feedpoint. Just at 1/2 wl AGL.
1:1 RF choke inside the box.

20220208_134110.jpg

Got the wires out away from the building as far as I could without pissing off the neighbors or the COA. Obviously not the optimum setup but works quite well. Do what you gotta, right?
20220208_134321.jpg

I support my inverted V at the feed point with fiberglass pipe. Works great.
Right i understand what your saying, what i was saying id i wanted to use a mast about 30 - 35 ft uo along the side of the house and some how attach a hook of some king to the top and hang the balum to it and let each sides drop to the sides of the mast to the house, the only part of the dipole that will be hooked up would be the 2 round ends and they would be the ones that would be tied to the house, really not the wire itself but use rope or something to tie it the side of the house, thenreason i was thinking of using mast to get it up was that i already had one up.

Reactions: Crawdad
On a center fed Dipole either flat top or inverted V best not to have the coax coming down right beside a metal mast pipe. Yours I think should be fine to support the center if you run the coax off to one side away from the metal mast pipe mast.

On a center fed Dipole either flat top or inverted V best not to have the coax coming down right beside a metal mast pipe. Yours I think should be fine to support the center if you run the coax off to one side away from the metal mast pipe mast.
Ralph, do you have issues with talking local on your "V", or do you use something else for local? I know it works good for you on 10 meter DX.

Thank S&W, that was kind of what i was thinking of, well i guess i'll have to try something different, not sure what, I have a big tree 20 foot or so from where i was going to the mast so maybe i'll make it a sloper, tie one end up to the tree and tie and othernside to where i was going to tie the other end to a screw in I bolt and tie it off there, hope this will work.

Reactions: Crawdad and S&W357
I had no problems with a metal mast on a copper pipe flattop I had up for several years at a former QTH. Ran the coax straight down the mast, saw no CMC or any other issues. The vital thing to be sure of is not having the coax run parallel to either element in the near field. Stay at 90 degrees to the elements and the metal mast is not an issue.

Reactions: S&W357
Plus you have me thinking Copper Pipe Dipole now
Cant find any photos of it, guess I deleted them. It was Type M (thinner walled, lighter) 1/2" water pipe from Home Depot mounted on a 1" thick plastic cutting board cut into a "T". Worked very well. Had something close to 2MHz of 2.0:1 bandwidth. Held up to wind well.

Reactions: Marconi and S&W357
Thank S&W, that was kind of what i was thinking of, well i guess i'll have to try something different, not sure what, I have a big tree 20 foot or so from where i was going to the mast so maybe i'll make it a sloper, tie one end up to the tree and tie and othernside to where i was going to tie the other end to a screw in I bolt and tie it off there, hope this will work.
OK one thing i'm not sure if youbut when i said attach to the side of the house what i ment was it would be attach the the trim and not to the house itself, was'nt sure if you got that or not, S&W you said you used a fiberglass pole, how high is it and could i use one but not guy it if if was it was only about 10FT above the house,also how did you hang your balum or what did you to hold it there.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.