• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

direct feed element

2. What does it mean to say that a certain Yagi design uses "direct feed?"

Although many Yagi designs in current use have feedpoint impedance running from 20 to 30 Ohms, it is possible to design a high performance Yagi that shows a feedpoint impedance of 50 Ohms. In this case, we do not need a matching network, since the feedpoint impedance is the same as the characteristic impedance of the most common coaxial cables.

ant401on6.gif

However, we do have some constraints when using a direct feed driven element, as shown in Fig. 1. Regardless of the construction methods used for the other elements, the driven element must be insulated from the boom. The driven element must be split at the center to create a gap similar to what we find in a common wire dipole. The size of the gap is not critical at 10 meters and might range from 1/4" to 1".

We connect the inner conductor of the coax to one side of the element, and the braid to the other side. Hence: direct feed.

This is how I made my six element beam (minus the balun).

This is how I understand one to be direct fed.

This is NOT how the guy on the radio described "direct fed".

This is the source of my confusion. :?:

Link is good this time. Thanks

Yep, a dipole driven element.

Thought I was going freakin' nuts for a minute. :shock:

I guess I still might be, but not over this anymore, thanks all.

this is very interesting, and very wallet friendly, would be very interested in trying to build one of these, also curious what the spacing would be if a director is added, cant seem to find that info

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.