• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Disable Talkback on Galaxy DX44v

SMILEX2692002

Oct 26, 2011
Anybody know if the Galaxy Dx44v should have talkback on when the echo is turned off?
Mine does and I hate it.
I tried this mod to disable and it didn't work?
Galaxy Radios DX44V Service Manual

Anyone know if there is anything else I can do to disable the talkback in my radio?
The talkback sounds really good, but I don't want to hear myself all the time.

On the 959 there is a volume control - if u push in the knob turns talk back off. Not sure if the 44v works the same way.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

On the 959 there is a volume control - if u push in the knob turns talk back off. Not sure if the 44v works the same way.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

The Galaxy 44v was out YEARS before the 959 was even thought of. There is no variable on a Galaxy 44v. This is why when Magnum came out with the all mode variable talk-back it was such a big deal.

Best bet is to look up any of the old school talkback mods to either quiet it down or have an on/off switch installed.

check to see if a diode in the talkback area has been clipped or lifted. thinking D71 or one right in that area you can clip and you will have full time talkback and it does not turn off. look close in that area. to lazy to go to a schematic and look for the proper one but I am shure you can find it if clipped.

check to see if a diode in the talkback area has been clipped or lifted. thinking D71 or one right in that area you can clip and you will have full time talkback and it does not turn off. look close in that area. to lazy to go to a schematic and look for the proper one but I am shure you can find it if clipped.

To lazy tonight to mess with the radio tonight. But I did see something was removed near the area of J15 on the circuit board. I bet it is was what makes the all the time talk back. If I can get the talk back to act as it should, (only working with the echo on) then I will do the resistor mod to improve the sound and figure out how to put the talk back on a On/OFF toggle switch.

I just got the radio and I may send it out for an alignment and a go over of the circuit board and components.
I was thinking DTB. Anyone know if DTB will repair radios that were not bought from him?

To lazy tonight to mess with the radio tonight. But I did see something was removed near the area of J15 on the circuit board. I bet it is was what makes the all the time talk back. If I can get the talk back to act as it should, (only working with the echo on) then I will do the resistor mod to improve the sound and figure out how to put the talk back on a On/OFF toggle switch.

I just got the radio and I may send it out for an alignment and a go over of the circuit board and components.
I was thinking DTB. Anyone know if DTB will repair radios that were not bought from him?

This has something about J15 in it
Disabling Talkback and Talkback Mod

Same mod as I posted from CB Tricks.COM.
Didn't work when I disconnected the wire from J15.
Somebody removed a component from the circuit board around J15. I believe it's making the Talk Back always on.

It's also got the resistor mod that I think keeps the talkback on. It says to increase the resistor value to attenuate the talkback volume. I'm only speculating about this. What do you think?

I didn't see any resistor mod on my radio?
I will post a picture of the missing component on the circuit board tomorrow after work on this thread for all to see.

If all else fails,

Use a relay to completely kill the audio when the mic is keyed.

Trace the wires from the speaker and trace the wires from the ext speaker jack, where the traces on the PCB come together, cut the traces, and between them solder a relay in place.

I think it is pin 3 of the microphone, pin 4 I believe pin 4 is RX, and is not used on most export radios, use this back of the mic jack to switch the relay, thus cutting off all audio turning TX.

Yes, all else can fail, these radios end up peaked, tweaked and freaked out, all kinds of RF feedback problems, or they clipped so and so or whatever thus screwing up talkback. Some exports have no switch to turn off talkback, I think some of the early production galaxy 99's have permanent talkback that the echo knob will not turn off, nor does clipping so and so wire to the echo PCB. Good luck, you'll need it.

More or less there's a diode that's been clipped or removed as I had the same problem with my Galaxy 88. Did the talkback disable mod, and it was still on. Right in the area of J15 on my board, there was a diode that had been clipped. Soldered it back together, and that was that. Then I added a switch to disable it with the echo on. Don't know about the 88 and 44 boards being the same, but I would look closely around J15.

More or less there's a diode that's been clipped or removed as I had the same problem with my Galaxy 88. Did the talkback disable mod, and it was still on. Right in the area of J15 on my board, there was a diode that had been clipped. Soldered it back together, and that was that. Then I added a switch to disable it with the echo on. Don't know about the 88 and 44 boards being the same, but I would look closely around J15.

Yes mine has had a diode clipped around J15 on my board as well.
How did you install the switch?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.