• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

diy alignment tool

brandon7861

Loose Wire
Nov 28, 2018
Although alignment tools are cheap enough, who hasn't tried making them? I finally found a good material for making the tips that wont deform. Celluloid!

I made these alignment tools using polymorph (a moldable thermoplastic that melts in hot water) and the thicker size celluloid guitar picks for the tip material. The celluloid is hard and strong enough to not break or deform turning a slug and can be very accurately shaped with a dremel. The thermoplastic is something I had for other reasons, so these were pretty much free to make. I made 3 different size celluloid tips, one steel tip for trimmers and a brass/ferrite tool for poking at slug adjustments without turning the slug.

Attachments

• r3.jpg
    r3.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 86

After spending money on what seemed like a subscription to plastic or plastic like alignment tools, I decided to make my own. I found some small plastic sticks that went to a cheap game like kerplunk and used those. I heat a tuning slug in some pliers until hot enough to melt plastic but not too hot. Shove a stick in the hot slug slot and it flows to the size of the slot exactly. I have to be still during the cooling. The stick pops out of the slug and with some outer edge trimming, I'm ready to align. It's a process but cheap.
16898622001711779336121769212426.jpg

Attachments

• 16898620528339109501571854238874.jpg
    16898620528339109501571854238874.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 47
Theres a memory from 30 years ago! The game was called "Pick Up Sticks" I believe.. The sticks would be droped into a pile and each player had a stick of their own to use to pick up the colored sticks with. One stick at a time, cannot let any other stick move, keep picking up sticks until another one does move that shouldn't. They had points for color but I forget what they were. My brother used to cheat and stomp on the floor hoping more than the stick I was trying to get would move.

Edit: Now just fatten them up with a few wraps of tape so fine adjustments are easier.

Last edited:
Where would one find this particular material?
The tip material is celluliod (nitrocellulose and camphor, flammable, dont try to melt!) and can be bought in sheet form or as thick guitar picks on ebay. They are a shipping hazmat thing, but some sellers don't care. You will know its celluloid by the smell.

The handles are instamorph aka polymorph (two different brands of the same low-melting thermoplastic called polycaprolactone). That stuff can melt in hot water (140°F) and can be shaped by hand.

Although the thermoplastic does get hard when cool, it is not quite strong enough for the tips. I know celluloid also gets brittle as the camphor evaporates from the nitrocellulose, but mine are still going strong.

Adding a prepper comment: When you buy the celluloid, buy extra. If shaved into a powder, a spark will ignite it. They are extremely flammable and make great waterproof tinder. I keep several in my wallet, some threaded on my ferrorod lanyard and even have some taped to my everyday carry knife case.

Last edited:
I have non-inductive ceramic tools and use them on larger slugs. Smaller slugs are more fragile and can break with a hard material tool so I figure it's better to use plastic on those as the plastic tip will shear off before the slug breaks and better to dig out a piece of plastic tip from the slug than pulling a broken slug out. Ymmv.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.