• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

DJ-G7 vs. VX-8R

deputyjoel

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Nov 18, 2009
Hi,

New to the forum, but I've been a ham for a number of years. I've got a couple of old HTs, but I've decided to upgrade to something new. I want a HT that is at least a 2m/70CM and has dual frequencies displayed on the readout. I've read, researched, dug and finally narrowed it down to the Alinco DJ-G7 or the Yaesu VX-8R, the (VX-7R) might also be acceptable. It seems like there is a lot more info and interest in the Yaesus, but I'm kinda leaning towards the Alinco. Any thoughts, opinions or advice is welcome! N6YNV

Last edited:

It looks like a nice radio. I handled one at HRO and Universal. For me as a new ham, there was one deciding factor. This was going to be my first and only radio for a while and then my only HT. I didn't plan on replacing it anytime soon and I have learned not to trade, because I am not good at it. I wanted every bell and whistle I could get. This includes everything from internal functions to run APRS to Bluetooth to being waterproof. At this point VX-8R is the only HT on the block with those functions.

Well, since I have owned both HTs for some time, I can certainly give an opinion. Both are good radios. However, the Yaesu VX 8r just has a lot more features. Those features come at a price, however. You're going to have to decide which features you will get more use out of: the GPS/APRS and 220mhz of the VX-8 or the 1.2 Ghz and crossbanding of the DJ-G7. I decided to get the DJ-G7 to give 1.2Ghz a try, but I haven't been able to find hardly any activity here. However, APRS is all over the place and I find myself having fun playing with it.

The Alinco comes with a better battery and also the drop-in charger, which is extra for the Yaesu. However, the DJ G7 is not waterproof, it is only water resistant. I like how I don't have to worry about the Yaesu VX 8r getting wet...and it's really rugged too!

The Alinco programming software is garbage, but Yaesu doesn't provide any at all for their radio. Fortunately the RT Systems cable and software is REALLY good for the VX-8r and it's not too expensive.

The Alinco DJ G7 has some issues when you try to monitor frequencies around 470Mhz (maybe a little higher?). I wrote about it in the review I did...it only receives WFM mode, which is an issue of you have fire, police, etc. that you want to monitor in that frequency range.

Personally, if I was going to choose just one, I would go with the Yaesu VX8r. If I didn't want all of the GPS/APRS functionality, I would probably go with the VX 7 or the Kenwood TH-F6a (which I've also owned).

That's all I can think of right now, but if you come up with any questions, feel free to ask.

Personally, if I was going to choose just one, I would go with the Yaesu VX8r. If I didn't want all of the GPS/APRS functionality, I would probably go with the VX 7 or the Kenwood TH-F6a (which I've also owned).

That's all I can think of right now, but if you come up with any questions, feel free to ask.

OK, thank you very much for your advice. I see you have done a lot with these HTs. Now you have me thinking! What are your thoughts in breaking down the choice between the VX-7R and the TH-F6A? I've been doing lots of research and the comments on the F6A are very positive, although the 7R seems to be the more popular rig!

If you are willing to wait until next year Kenwood is coming out with a replacement for the TH-D7AG. This was a very popular APRS HT that is now being updated and improved. (y)

Now you have me thinking! What are your thoughts in breaking down the choice between the VX-7R and the TH-F6A?
They're both good. I had a Yaesu VX 7r just long enough for it to get stolen :mad:. I didn't even have it long enough to write a review about it, but this was a few years ago.

The selling point of the VX7r (in my mind) is that it's waterproof and ruggedized. It's a pretty durable little radio. However, I never thought that the user interface on Yaesu's VX-6r or VX-7r were all that easy to figure out and remember. They made significant progress on that, IMO with the VX-8.

The reason I liked the Kenwood TH F6a so much was that it gives a full 5 watts output on 220mhz. If you don't have much 220mhz in your area, then that may be something you don't need. The user experience with the TH-F6 is very good and easy to learn, IMO. A neat feature of the Kenwood TH-F6a is that it can also RX USB and LSB in the SWL bands. It's obviously not the most sensitive receiver that you'll ever own, but it's there for you to play with. This radio isn't as rugged as the Yaesu radios; it's not waterproof. It IS nice and small, though! I'm kind've waiting to see what Kenwood does with their next HT also...

I appreciate your input! This is a great forum! I'm leaning towards the VX-7R, I'll just have to see if I can find a good deal on one.

Good Article.
As of this week iv been debating between the alinco dj-g7t or yaesu vx-8dr
even tho the vx8dr is a lot more money than the alinco djg7t it is worth the extra monies.

I have a Wouxun KG-UV6D... Now I know it's not even close to what your decision will be.. But I believe this company in the near future, if they keep a low profile and don't get a big head like the "big three" will give them a run for there money... For a basic 2m/70cm HT this radio has impressed me more than any other in the past few years...

Having the bells an whistles is fun, but for 129$ Wouxun has the right idea... Oh and this 1700mAh battery just won't die! It's now my EDC HT replacing my aging VX-3R...

The money I saved... Yep...
I'll be able to get the Yaesu FTM-400D
to upgrade my ancient 2M mobile!

73's

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.