• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Do I have a problem ??? Bleeding into car stereo.

Uncle Charlie

Oct 22, 2013
OK, I hope I can describe this correctly, without going into all the details.
Magnum 257 HP(hard wired to battery), Sirio Megawatt 4000 with the 145 Mag mount on roof of Toyota Highlander.
SWRs very low like 1.3-1.

Antenna is located center line, but forward (short coax) and this puts it about 4 1/2 feet from the car stereo antenna.

When I'm TX ---- I'm bleeding into the car radio AM & FM.
Now to me, this is not a good sign. But I don't know, and my research here hasn't found anything.

Magnum 257 HP(hard wired to battery), Sirio Megawatt 4000 with the 145 Mag mount on roof of Toyota Highlander.

Antenna is located center line, but forward (short coax) and this puts it about 4 1/2 feet from the car stereo antenna.

Now to me, this is not a good sign. But I don't know, and my research here hasn't found anything.
Your probably not getting into the stereo but into the speaker wires and the speakers themselves. Better shielded wire and some ferrite beads on the wires at the speakers. All else fails turn the power down.

With a CB with 80W and bugger all bandpass or low pass filtering on the output I would be surprised if it didn't. The fourth harmonic of the 11m band is in the top end of the FM broadcast band and AM is just about susceptible to anything.

Add to that a crap car radio as wide open as a barn door and you have a front end being well and truly overloaded by your CB.

And that's before we get to any common mode issues resulting in RF getting onto the power and speaker cables as has been suggested although I doubt its the problem.

Easy cure. Turn the stereo OFF when talking on the radio. That's what I do and I don't even interfere with it. Not doing so is like listening to the radio while watching television. :blink:

Reactions: 2 people
So .... it seems that this is not an issue, and may be common.
I was afraid of all kinds of bad news about this.

Thanks for the replies.

Its something you kind of just get used to. You could try fitting a low pass filter which would possibly help the FM but I think AM is beyond hope.

Looking for insignificant things to worry about isn't healthy.

I run a good quality stereo system that I installed. No inference on mine. Got my head unit for $500,new.
Electronics, Cars, Fashion, Collectibles, Coupons and More |eBay
The description says 4 channel. That's the speaker outs but the pre outs have 4 main channels,1 center channel,1 sub out channel. Comes with a mic that it auto adjusts for car interior acoustics.

Ebay's offering is wayyy cheaper than Amazon's
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001I8ZR4C?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

http://www.blaupunktdirect.co.uk/

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.