• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

DOES ANYONE REMEMBER AES (Amateur Electronic Supply) AND THEIR CATALOG?

Woody-202

Sep 5, 2018
www.cbdaze.blogspot.com
I believe AES closed down in 2016. But more to the point, when I first became interested in ham radio (late 70's, early 80's) their catalog was one of the best, with plenty of pages of eye candy, along the lines of the Sears Wish Book. Having been into CB radio since 1968 I'd find one or 2 pages of CB stuff: A radio or two, some mobile antennas, and that was about it. Nonetheless I liked flipping through the pages to see what the latest HF rigs were at the time.

aes 1979 cat_700.jpg
[It's hard to believe that the Yaesu FT-207R was cutting edge, until I remember this was back in 1979. The 207R was my 1st ham radio, purchased used in 1984 when I became licensed]

Anytime I saw a new AES catalog at the local radio store I picked one up, eventually acquiring a large stack of 'em (along with QST, 73, and Popular Communication magazines).

When I got into CB, in 1968 at Christmas, I had to wait for my Dad's license to come arrive via mail (KDU5960). We lived in, what I call, a small town (under 10k population) and from the local newsstand I became aware of S9 and CB Radio magazines, and through those I discovered Henshaws and Echo catalogs. IMO nothing beat Henshaws.

Henshaws 1974 cover_500.jpg
[At just under 40 pages, this was one BIG Wish Book}

But you never know just when you'll be further educated and sometimes astounded on what you know about various topics - Like CB Radio, and 2 weeks ago I became further educated and astounded to find out that much earlier than 1979, AES had their own CB catalog, and they didn't skimp on it either. Not counting the ordering, ordering details, and credit option pages (which I left out) this catalog went 78 pages beyond that. Their CB only catalog may be old news to some of you, but it was new to me, and when I finally got it (via mail) this officially became the BIGGEST CB Wish Book on my list of CB catalogs. Here's the front cover:

AES-CB_600.jpg

It took a little bit of time to prepare (scanning, page enhancing, and sizing) but it's all done, and if someone already did it, well, that's okay too - and if it works (it's about 29mb), there should be a .PDF to download below (then gleefully read later ;)) .

Woody

Attachments

• AES 1971 CB CATALOG.pdf
    28.7 MB · Views: 12

I believe AES closed down in 2016. But more to the point, when I first became interested in ham radio (late 70's, early 80's) their catalog was one of the best, with plenty of pages of eye candy, along the lines of the Sears Wish Book. Having been into CB radio since 1968 I'd find one or 2 pages of CB stuff: A radio or two, some mobile antennas, and that was about it. Nonetheless I liked flipping through the pages to see what the latest HF rigs were at the time.

View attachment 60290
[It's hard to believe that the Yaesu FT-207R was cutting edge, until I remember this was back in 1979. The 207R was my 1st ham radio, purchased used in 1984 when I became licensed]

Anytime I saw a new AES catalog at the local radio store I picked one up, eventually acquiring a large stack of 'em (along with QST, 73, and Popular Communication magazines).

When I got into CB, in 1968 at Christmas, I had to wait for my Dad's license to come arrive via mail (KDU5960). We lived in, what I call, a small town (under 10k population) and from the local newsstand I became aware of S9 and CB Radio magazines, and through those I discovered Henshaws and Echo catalogs. IMO nothing beat Henshaws.

View attachment 60291
[At just under 40 pages, this was one BIG Wish Book}

But you never know just when you'll be further educated and sometimes astounded on what you know about various topics - Like CB Radio, and 2 weeks ago I became further educated and astounded to find out that much earlier than 1979, AES had their own CB catalog, and they didn't skimp on it either. Not counting the ordering, ordering details, and credit option pages (which I left out) this catalog went 78 pages beyond that. Their CB only catalog may be old news to some of you, but it was new to me, and when I finally got it (via mail) this officially became the BIGGEST CB Wish Book on my list of CB catalogs. Here's the front cover:

View attachment 60292

It took a little bit of time to prepare (scanning, page enhancing, and sizing) but it's all done, and if someone already did it, well, that's okay too - and if it works (it's about 29mb), there should be a .PDF to download below (then gleefully read later ;)) .

Woody
i remember n drooled lots,browning eagle

oh wow this guy on fb is selling that radio you have an image off
View attachment 60295

Me too. After graduating high school (and I mean 3 days after) my family moved to Texas. I was going to live in an efficient apartment back home (CT.) so I packed up all my CB stuff and it got moved along with everything else, and I bought that Midland, just to use to keep in touch with friends. A year later I moved down to the Houston area, talking on that Midland all the way down from New England and when I got there I wanted to get my E.F. Johnson 124, Midland 13-880b, antenna, and all of the other associated equipment unboxed, only to find out that no one in the family knew where those boxes were at, and after looking everywhere I realized that they were all gone o_O (I still suspect my brother), and in my anger, I threw the Midland out of the 2nd story window and onto the drive-way. Not a smart move, but it sure did release some steam (mine). :mad:

• Wow
Reactions: tecnicoloco and Rwb

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.