• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Does "Ranger" make the SRA-198 noise canceling mic?

Ranger SRA-198 reflections

I've tried the SRA-198 out on different radios and I love the look and feel of this mic. It reminds me of commercially made mic's. Looking back I think that this mic could benefit from a mild amplification circuit, either in the mic or in the radio. The cheap way would be to adjust the mic gain pot inside the radio in order to get the modulation numbers I'm looking for. Somewhere on the 90% range would be right for me. This wouldn't help for those who like to use different mic's on the same radio.
Also, I bought a Gear Keeper retracting mic cord. It keeps the mic where I can grab it and not worry about it getting dinged up by placing down.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    469.9 KB · Views: 8
I've tried the SRA-198 out on different radios and I love the look and feel of this mic. It reminds me of commercially made mic's. Looking back I think that this mic could benefit from a mild amplification circuit, either in the mic or in the radio. The cheap way would be to adjust the mic gain pot inside the radio in order to get the modulation numbers I'm looking for. Somewhere on the 90% range would be right for me. This wouldn't help for those who like to use different mic's on the same radio.
Also, I bought a Gear Keeper retracting mic cord. It keeps the mic where I can grab it and not worry about it getting dinged up by placing down.

thanks for the review. ive been looking at this mic aswell. most noise canselling mics
you MUST have your upper lip just lightly touching the lip guard ,so that sounds normal.
do you have any other noise canselling mics to compare it to? sorry but the road devil isnt
a noise canselling mic.at best its a overprised power mic..lol

No I don't have any other to compare it to. I think that the 198 attenuates the audio too much. I would have to dedicate it to one radio and adjust the radio's modulation pot to get the numbers I want to see. Maybe the 198's noise reduction circuitry could be modified.

No I don't have any other to compare it to. I think that the 198 attenuates the audio too much. I would have to dedicate it to one radio and adjust the radio's modulation pot to get the numbers I want to see. Maybe the 198's noise reduction circuitry could be modified.

are you talking right up against the lip guard???no n/c mic has decent audio unless you do
however they work better on radios with the amc turned up

Reactions: 1 person
if you never dealt with redman. he is a very rude person.
if you have a problem. he will tell you you broke it. just read his feedback on ebay.
best of luck

eBay feedback at 100% positive. I recently bought 2 (one 4 pin and one rewired for 6 pin). Both excellent and shipped out promptly.

are you talking right up against the lip guard???no n/c mic has decent audio unless you do
however they work better on radios with the amc turned up

Yeah,I've noticed that. Also I tried my new 636L mic on my 959. That brought the modulation down a little less than a stock Hand mic. I still think that using a mild mic preamp to help without having to go in the radio and messing with the AMC but turning up the AMC is cheaper. I guess I'm into trying out different mic's. I like the SRA's looks. Maybe if small enough,a preamp can be installed in the mic itself.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.