• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Don't Know if This Will Work, But I'll Give it a Try

KF6IRK

Kapt. Irk
Mar 2, 2013
So Cal
This is in regards to a nice 17-story tall building about a mile from where I live ... a perfect spot for my remote base :unsure:

Marrriott Hotel, Del Amo/Torrance
3635 Fashion Way
Torrance, CA 90503

Attn: >>>>>>>>>>>, General Manager

Dear >>>>>>>>>>>,

The purpose of this letter is to introduce our organization and ask for assistance/consideration in acquiring a suitable facility to install a low-power FCC licensed Amateur Radio Emergency/Disaster Recovery Communications System in the South Bay area of Southern California.

The proposed radio communications system would benefit tremendously from a location with a high level elevation. From our surveys, the roof-top of your Torrance Marriott Hotel facility located at 3635 Fashion Way, Torrance, CA, appears to possess ideal elevation and geographical elements, allowing for effective radio communications by the volunteer Amateur Radio operators in the local South Bay area. A system installed at your facility would provide emergency communications coverage to numerous cities within the South Bay area as well as linking to similar emergency communications systems, currently operating in the greater Los Angeles basin.

The proposed system is actually quite small, less than two (2) cubic feet, is self contained, and would not require any infrastructure, utilities, nor hotel staff maintenance. The system would be self-sufficient, powered by a small solar panel, and utilizes three small non-obtrusive radio antennas. Due to the low power properties of the system, this system would not cause any harmful interference to any other communications systems, microwave or satellite systems currently deployed at your facility.

After initial installation, quarterly scheduled preventive maintenance would be provided by one of our technical volunteer staffing, and would be limited to approximately 1hour in length for each maintenance session.

We are a non-profit volunteer community organization and our mission is to assist local Official Emergency Response Agencies and other community service organizations in the Southern California area, providing assistance during time of emergency situations, as well as other local community events, such as the Armed Services Memorial Day parades here in Torrance.

Please respond to the undersigned if our request has merit in your estimation. We would be very happy to meet with you to answer any questions you may have in regards to our request.

Thank you for your time and consideration ...

Best Regards,

Mark S>>>>>>>>>>>>
FCC Amateur License # KF6IRK
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Torrance, CA, 90501
Phone: >>>>>>>>>>>>
email: >>>>>>>>>>>>>

Well, let's see what transpires ... :pop:

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people

SO what do you plan on putting up there, should they approve of this? And if they do, I wanna copy this letter and setup something on one of the tall buildings @ the Warner Center in Canoga Park...

Reactions: 1 person
I don't want to confuse the GM with a bunch of technological mumbo-jumbo, so I'll probably just submit a simple diagram if she responds favorably ... like this:

Marriott Roof3.jpg

In addition to 2 Ubiquiti dishes (back-to-back relay configuration), probably a dual-band (Puxing) 2M/440 HT with a gain antenna and some AGM or LiPo batteries to start off with. I'll install all the guts in a NEMA-3 enclosure and mount it under the solar panel. The roof-top location I'd like to utilize is actually closer to 20 stories tall (y)

The plan is to install one dish at my house, two on the roof of the hotel and one at my shop. This will allow for an internet connection, a path for my security system and DVR, and maybe even VOIP phone at the shop. The HT? ... well I'll let you guess what that's for :tongue:

Nice view, eh? (not my proposed location)

nano dish.jpg

you might want to spell Marriott correct as well....

it appears to have an xtra R in the address field

Big B

Emergency communications? Honey, should I stop by the store and pick up a quart of milk? Good luck with it IRK. Hopefully they don't sneeze "Bullsh*t"

I do give you credit for trying.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.