• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dosey Frequency Counter FC50

No.....

But, if I understand what you are asking or attempting to do, it might be possible...
I suppose you want to use this as a piece of Test Equipment for possibly Servicing Equipment ???
I suppose you may want to make a "Probe" using Coax and Connectors ??? One end to screw onto the Input Connector and the other end, the Probe... Using the Coax Center Conductor as the Probe and the Outer-Shield as the Ground ???
NO Technician here, just a Tinkerer... BUT, I do own a ParaDynamics PD-256 Frequency Counter... It's Instruction Sheet shows "a way" you might be able to use your Counter the way I "think" you want to use yours ??? Notice the Additional Components that ParaDynamics provides... They prevent "False Readings" from being displayed, I believe, by the Counter being "acted-upon" by the Equipment it is connected to...
Anyway... Have a look here
http://www.cbtricks.com/miscellaneo...pdc_256/graphics/para_dynamics_pdc_256_om.pdf
I suppose, you could find a "Used", or Inexpensive "Probe" to use as a Base to Build upon... Or something like this ???
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RF-Test-Pro...538609?hash=item2111cc8bf1:g:LM8AAOxy4c5RpqgD
Check out his "other items" too he offers... A Frequency Counter Test Kit with Probe...

Or get Creative and Homebrew something...

Perhaps others may have First-Hand Experience with this ???
I am thinking it will work, as I describe... Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained ???

" Don't hold me responsible, IF you try this and it does not work-out for you.... "

I apologize, if I made incorrect assumptions... I own the PDC-256 and have it connected internally to the Circuitry of my Vintage Tram D201A, using the Additional 2 Optional Components....

Last edited:
Reactions: Mudduckmobile
No.....

But, if I understand what you are asking or attempting to do, it might be possible...
I suppose you want to use this as a piece of Test Equipment for possibly Servicing Equipment ???
I suppose you may want to make a "Probe" using Coax and Connectors ??? One end to screw onto the Input Connector and the other end, the Probe... Using the Coax Center Conductor as the Probe and the Outer-Shield as the Ground ???
NO Technician here, just a Tinkerer... BUT, I do own a ParaDynamics PD-256 Frequency Counter... It's Instruction Sheet shows "a way" you might be able to use your Counter the way I "think" you want to use yours ??? Notice the Additional Components that ParaDynamics provides... They prevent "False Readings" from being displayed, I believe, by the Counter being "acted-upon" by the Equipment it is connected to...
Anyway... Have a look here
http://www.cbtricks.com/miscellaneo...pdc_256/graphics/para_dynamics_pdc_256_om.pdf
I suppose, you could find a "Used", or Inexpensive "Probe" to use as a Base to Build upon... Or something like this ???
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RF-Test-Pro...538609?hash=item2111cc8bf1:g:LM8AAOxy4c5RpqgD
Or get Creative and Homebrew something...

Perhaps others may have First-Hand Experience with this ???
I am thinking it will work, as I describe... Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained ???

" Don't hold me responsible, IF you try this and it does not work-out for you.... "

I apologize, if I made incorrect assumptions... I own the PDC-256 and have it connected internally to the Circuitry of my Vintage Tram D201A, using the Additional 2 Optional Components....
Thanks for your input,ill look into this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIY-blue-PL...306848?hash=item1c592e8b60:g:7IMAAOSwHmhV8FQ3
PLJ-8led
Maybe that can help?
I use a nine volt battery and alligator clips, it came with the two ends that plug into the module even though they are not pictured.
They make a six digit model called the PLJ-6led

Steve Wagner installed it into a housing and put a bnc connector on it, it is almost a proper frequency counter for much less money. Here is a link to his video, his youtube channel may have another video on just the module itself. The other video title is:
"Electronics Trivia - No. 98 - A Second look at an Asian Frequency Display"

For around ten dollars that may help you get started with a counter for testing, make sure you use a solid 10.00 Mhz reference to calibrate it by adjusting the potentiometer in back (If it needs it)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mudduckmobile
I believe he already has a "Counter"... I assume he wanted / needed a "Probe" to go with the Counter, in order to use it as a Piece of Test Equipment...
I believe in order to use the Counter as he had hoped to, the Probe would have to have the 51 Ohm 1/4 Watt Resistor and a 15pf Ceramic Capacitor in Series to the Tip of the Probe, in order for the Counter to provide Accurate Readings, and not having the Equipment's Circuitry effect the Counter's Readings...

Reactions: LeapFrog
I believe he already has a "Counter"... I assume he wanted / needed a "Probe" to go with the Counter, in order to use it as a Piece of Test Equipment...
I believe in order to use the Counter as he had hoped to, the Probe would have to have the 51 Ohm 1/4 Watt Resistor and a 15pf Ceramic Capacitor in Series to the Tip of the Probe, in order for the Counter to provide Accurate Readings, and not having the Equipment's Circuitry effect the Counter's Readings...
Very well, I read his post incorrectly.

All the best.
-Sam

If you are trying to use a meter that shows only six places and you want to use it to work on radios; it won't work for you. You will need a meter that can read down to a single Hz/cps. You will also need it to be both stable and accurate. The FC-50 was designed to be a station monitor, and cannot/will not fill the bill for critical internal radio adjustments. Sorry; you will need to look elsewhere . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: LeapFrog
No Problem !!! It happens to the Best of Us, Including ME !!! LOL ...
No worries. :)
The SanJian Studio
PLJ-8LED Is cheap and may help you get started kaos513.
You Get 8 Digits of Resolution for about 10 Bucks!
(It's too bad that it's from China, I really want to see a Domestic Version of this product one day!)
Not a whole lot of info on the net for this module but it seems to do the trick so far..
A PDF can be linked in once I search for it again..
It's pretty straight forwards how to use it.

Last edited:
What is the best or close to best of a test frequency counter for am and ssb?
I think Captian Kilowatt already tried to explain it, but I'll go into a little more detail while keeping it simple.
You Will Get To A Point When the Frequency you are trying to Measure gets So Low You are Going to need more than 6 digits to have a HIgh Enough "Frequency-Resolution" In Order to Display the Full (&True) Frequency in that Sub-Mhz Range;
Say Like When Taking A "Khz/Hz" Measurement.
6 digits of resolution won't get you close enough, and so you can not use a 6 digit Counter for Tuning a Radio.
Fictional & inaccurate example:
Literally drawing it out for You imagine two different counters where in front of you,
You had to take two readings one would be say 027.215 Mhz & the other could be 1505.1505 Hz.
How is the second reading going to display on the 6 digit counter?

Something to think about

All The Best.
-Sam

Last edited:
I think Captian Kilowatt already tried to explain it, but I'll go into a little more detail while keeping it simple.
You Will Get To A Point When the Frequency you are trying to Measure gets So Low You are Going to need more than 6 digits to have a HIgh Enough "Frequency-Resolution" In Order to Display the Full (&True) Frequency in that Sub-Mhz Range;
Say Like When Taking A "Khz/Hz" Measurement.
6 digits of resolution won't get you close enough, and so you can not use a 6 digit Counter for Tuning a Radio.
Fictional & inaccurate example:
Literally drawing it out for You imagine two different counters where in front of you,
You had to take two readings one would be say 027.215 Mhz & the other could be 0500.2155 Hz.
How is the second reading going to display on the 6 digit counter?

Something to think about

All The Best.
-Sam
thanks will look into for a counter that is made for testing.

I would look into buying a radio test set such as a Marconi 2955 if you're going to be doing a lot of radio testing and alignment. That has absolutely everything in it to test a radio properly. It has both AF and RF generators, frequency counter, oscilloscope, SINAD meter and other test tools all in one unit.

If you just want a counter then look at used ones on Ebay made by companies such as Racal. Start out with the proper gear, spend once and spend right. It'll save you a lot of money and grief down the line.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.