• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

dosy watts vs bird watts

Status
Not open for further replies.
on your forum you seemed to be in support of the claim that tube watts are louder than solid-state watts .
so i guess even the all mighty bird meter is not capable of telling the audio differences between those two types of amplified watts ?

Anyone that thinks 1000 watts from a tube amp is louder than 1000 watts from a solidstate amp needs to go back to electronics school and re-learn a few things. Loudness is NOT a function of the final amp but rather a function of the modulator stage and to a very small extent the headroom available in the final amp stage to prevent flat topping.

A Bird shouldn't be used as a calibration "standard" unless the manufacturer of the instrument being calibrated (the Test Instrument, or "TI") specifies some really high permissible error limits - like ± 30%. Then, a properly calibrated and certified Bird would probably be adequate.

To what standard are the Bird meters calibrated? Typically the ratio between the TI and the reference standard is around 10x, meaning that the Bird 43, rated by the manufacturer at ±5% would need a reference standard rated by its manufacturer at ±0.5%. Most good measuring instruments are shipped with a copy of the initial calibration certificate, which indicates exactly what standards were used for that calibration, by manufacturer, model number and serial number. Follow-up calibrations can use the same standards with no trouble.

That ±0.5% standard itself requires calibration against a standard with an even narrower error - in this case, ±0.05%. And about this time, things start to get less pragmatic and more theoretical. I've worked in Secondary Standards Labs and Primary Standard Labs as well.

There's a reason why the military uses Bird equipment and very little Dosy.

yes i completely understand the theory of why / how a standard is derived
but to inquire that or rather suggest that what if ? the standards that are used are wrong and have been all along !
of course , theoretically speaking ?

as i can see using the bird std in a military setting , but to simply use for a hobby setting is / would be good purely for the bragging rites , of the foolish that have more money than brains

A thick skin and obviously a thick skull to go along with it too. You criticise me for not seeing the humour in your post yet fail to see the humour in mine. At least I put a smilie face grinning to tip you off yet you still missed it. As for lightening up, practice what you preach. I was only expressing my opinion. See, it works both ways. (y)

with all due respect capn kilowatt that was called a funny haha !
you really ought to lighten up as that is only my opinion but being an authority
in the amateur realm within your prowess and extensive knowledge in the RF transmitting business world one would have the basic sense of the tiniest bit of humor that may be found from within the pages of a radio communications forum?

and while you may not see the humor , many do in the "capn kilocrunch " remark !
as for what you might find is that theres not any thing that you might be able to muster up that havent already been applied or spoken as a avid CB'er i have thick skin , and not easily offended :pop:

oh now resorting to personal attacks
in regards of whether ive a thick skull or not^^ ab v c^^(y)
as it is clearly obvious that i may have upset you and to think captain kilowatt that you would stoop to my level of intellect and make a flaming comment to a fellow operator , all the while maintaining your composure

(y)cheer up my friend your a good sport !

Still not upset at all. If I was your username would now be bright yellow. :laugh: LOL. As for the thick skull comment, merely my personal opinion. I have no idea how thick your skull is. :blink:

as an extra class ham, who's been into cb since 1974, and probably committed every cb crime imaginable, i stand by my 'enufftagetout watts' theory. from a very early age, my 101e on the bowl in 1976 with an fl2100b & 3 element homemade dual polarity yagi, at the tender age of 14-yes 14-(and having had the 1st 8 transistor mobile around when i was 17) i never spouted off as to how many watts i had. i didn't wanna embarrass myself talking about something i might not be able to explain. the 1st time i heard 'bird watts', i asked, was treated like a moron & the explanation i got showed that the 'teacher' had no clue as to what he was talking about. as i continued to drop my hammer on him, i thought to myself 'look who's the moron now'. ;-)
that theory has stayed with me for nearly 40 years. i've used 16 transistor amps that showed 1kw on my wattmeter, while 'the other guy' & his 8 pill were doing 2kw. yeah, i usually squashed 'em. yet they don't get it!!!
'enufftagetout watts' on 27.365 today was my 706mk2g dialed down to the '3' spot, on 28.550 on my 746pro was 'fully clockwise', on 26.835 on my ar3500 in the mobile was 'about half way with the processor clicked on', etc etc. and i did click on the dx1600 on the bowl to get 'heard', those poor 2879's didn't even get a workout with the 3500 set to 'half way'. how many watts was i using??? ENUFFTAGETOUT!!!!

Reactions: 3 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.