• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Double Spooky Bazooka

Your thoughts on these simple dipoles. I have one that im gonna setup in a few weeks. Ive watched a few YouTube videos on them and they look like they work quite well. Reasonably priced on eBay as well.

Gonna more then likely have mine attached between two chimneys on my roof about 22 ft off the ground. Looking like it may also be pointed in a north-south direction. Unless I decide to somehow hang it along the edge of the roof at the corner of the house and have it in a V shape horizontally.

I allways wanted to expirment with one. More than likely this fall I will do the same project. Was also interested on how directional they are. For example if you had 2 with a switch box you could be directional without a rotor. Nice project!

I already have an Antron 99 up and it does fairly well so far for dx'ing. It'll be interesting to see the difference in the two. By using a dual antenna switch.

I bought one for a friend of mine who is a ham and we're gonna test it out sometime too on the 10 meter band as well.

What will happen is that if the dipole is installed horizontally, you will hear stations that have signals that are mostly horizontally polarized.

I use a horizontal beam antenna and a vertical antenna on a switch. I can switch between the two when skip is happening and one antenna or the other will hear stations that the other antenna won't hear. That is because a stations signal from many miles away can be either vertically or horizontally polarized when it arrives at your antenna.

It is a fine plan to have both with an antenna switch. Think you will hear that the horizontal dipole will have less noise than the vertical does; since most noise is vertically polarized..

Bazooka type antenna do work, but they also have a few draw backs. Probably the biggest draw back is their weight, it's more than a simple dipole's weight because of the coax used. That has to be considered but it isn't a major factor, sort of.
The one characteristic that does make a difference is how a bazooka type antenna achieves it's 'broadbandedness'. It does have an apparently 'wide' usable bandwidth, but that 'benefit' is at the expense of efficiency. Meaning that while the SWR will appear low over a wide range of frequencies, the increase in reactance as you move away from it's 'design' frequency means that there will be less power radiated by the antenna. They can certainly make an SWR meter 'happy' over a wider range than a simple dipole, but the resulting radiation isn't any more than from that 'simple' dipole at the same 'distance' from the design frequency. Why? Cuz' an SWR meter isn't the most discriminating or best way of measuring radiation properties.
{This isn't a 'new' discovery by any means, it's been documented. The last place I remember seeing it was in one of the ARRL's Antenna Compendium book series something like 20 years ago. It wasn't tested by 'theory', but by empirically cutting and putting the thing in the air.}
None of this means that a bazooka antenna isn't worth trying/using! It does mean that it has draw backs that doesn't make it a 'miracle antenna'. If it suits your needs, then by all means do it!
Then you get into the affects of polarization, and that get's really "iffy". At HF it's all about propagation. The best example of seeing examples of that is by using both a vertical and horizontal antenna on the same frequency. Switch between the two while listening to a station that seems to be fading in and out. As it goes 'out' on one of those antennas it will tend to be getting 'stronger' on the other. That isn't an always true 'truism', but it certainly is most of the time, sort of.
Have fun.
- 'Doc

Been around forever.
You've never heard of a Double Bazooka antenna? I'm not surprised. The Double Bazooka had its origin in the 1940's as a broad-band, half-wave antenna for use in radar installations. It subsequently was introduced in the amateur community in the 1950s.

CQ Magazine Review | IAC Antennas

Build your own.

http://www.k3dav.com/buildadoublebazookaant.htm

kc0bze Lee Casto | project antenna double bazooka

http://www.hamuniverse.com/bazooka

Double Bazooka Coaxial Dipole Antenna - Ham Radio Library

Jeff

It'll be interesting to see how well it works. Im content with my antron but when I hook it up to the antenna switch then thats when I'll see the big difference. Im not much about talking locally but I do like to dx. Thats why im intrigued to try this out. I've never used a dipole before either.

I'd be interested in the differences you see. I would hesitate to say the difference will be very 'big', more of the 'normal' differences between horizontal and vertical polarization rather than specifically attributable to a bazooka antenna. There will be some differences though.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.