• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

drake l-4b part needed

cbkidd1

May 3, 2005
pa.
hi Maybe someone can help me out? I was keying up my l-4b amp and out of no wear a spark came out the back. So i unkeyed. The amp was still on and the tubes were still lite. So i unpluged the amp. And took off the top and bottom covers looking for burned parts. The only thing i found looks like a resistor with 3 copper coils and a plastic sleeve over it. The sleeve had melted and were the two wires screw on two the load tuner. They had burn marks on both ends. Would anyone know what part this is? And were i could get one. thanks. :roll:

Parasitic suppressor?

If that's "all" it is, it should be an easy repair; however, don't just replace it and go back to business as usual. When parts fail, they do so for a reason. You have to figure out what that reason is in this case and fix it.

That's what I was thinking, a parasitic suppressor.Is it connected inline with the wire going to the tube caps? Like Beetle said,if that gave up the ghost there is a reason.There may be VHF oscillations happening in the amp.

hey. thank you for your help beetle and qrn. there are 3 of them in the amp. one on the bottom of each tube socket. the other one is i want to say is on the 4 gang tuner for the load. hope this helps. the one that is bad is on the tuner.

Hmmm.... starting to sound like it is NOT a parasitic suppressor. There should only be two supressors and they should be directly connected inline with the wires going to the high voltage connection on the TOP of the tubes.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.