• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

DTB "IF Filter Mod" for RCI 29xx radios?

If we never see a before and after, then all results are purely subjective.

You mean; you have not compared the receive of that radio to another and can't tell the difference? I sure can. These RCI radios have many plusses; but the receive audio quality is not one of them.

This is a fairly well known fault with this radio. The mfr doesn't own up to it; they just wait till the current production run has been all sold before they even consider to make changes in the next batch. These RCI radios pretty much all have a nasty sounding receive - IMO. I own a 2950 and a 2995 and they both stink with this issue (and a few other issues too). One radio is a thru-hole design and the other is SMT respectively.

Never seen any radio from any mfr that didn't have some fault; this takes in amatuer radios as well. There well may be some that didn't; but they would be in the minority.

Getting rid of noise in the early thru-hole 29xx was done with changing out the resistance value in one portion of the receive circuit. The net result was marginal - at best. Even then, it was a compromise. Dunno where those web pages are off of the top of my head for that mod, but if one looks around you can find it. Doesn't surprise me at all that the SMT radios have the similar issue but from a different cause. The 2995 has a pretty lousy receive audio and is why I never use the radio. Prefer a Uniden-based radio for audio receive clarity. That SS/Jackson is an example: it may have problems with it but the receive was second to none after the AGC was fixed. Its about time that shops deal with the issues that RCI won't even own up to because they can't afford to have warranty work that they must pay for.

Fifty bux to take the covers off, remove the filter (probably destroys the part in the process), dremel tool/remove the trace, and then solder the new part in is not too bad of a price. Part is probably ~$3-5 and takes a few minutes to clean out the solder joints/holes. The quality of workmanship is up to who you send it to. Having a few shops that fully stand behind their work is a rare commodity these days. Support them if you aren't going to do the work yourself. In this case, because it uses SMT - it is better if they do it and only if they back up their work.

Last edited:
Lol,

I'm talking about hearing a before and after.

I'd like to see a video and hear a 29XX before the mod and then listen to it post mod.

I'm fully aware of the receive issues. This mod is getting people all giddy.

You'd think shops would post before and after videos in order to hook and reel people in.

Also, it seems that Bob's includes the receive mod when purchased from him, other techs are charging for it. I don't know what Bob charges for a shipped 29XX. Maybe it's hidden within the total price.

Lol,

I'm talking about hearing a before and after.

I'd like to see a video and hear a 29XX before the mod and then listen to it post mod.

I'm fully aware of the receive issues. This mod is getting people all giddy.

You'd think shops would post before and after videos in order to hook and reel people in.

Also, it seems that Bob's includes the receive mod when purchased from him, other techs are charging for it. I don't know what Bob charges for a shipped 29XX. Maybe it's hidden within the total price.

Well, Bells CB radio does the before/after viddy thing.
Maybe they have a before/after viddy if you look for it.

Just got an email from him. He doesn't fool with this mod.

Bob's CB Radio does it for $25.
Pretty reliable place - too . . .

I've got waaay too many projects for awhile so I can't do it myself at this time to find out and see.
But anything that would help this receive in these radios would be more than welcome if it works . . .

I don't ever plan on having it done. As mentioned, my DSP speaker works well. I'm genuinely interested in seeing how this mod works though.

Mostly just curious. I've had RCI for so long, that I'm used to noise. Plus, I haven't been playing it much lately.

Reactions: 1 person
mine is always plugged into West Mountain Radio, clearspeech DSP. but id still like to see before and after also. its hard to use a radio without the dsp now that a guy is so used to it.

I got the West Mountain DSP module that you hook your own speaker to. It works great on every radio and receiver I have, except the 2950. The 2950 causes a loud speaker pop when unkeying. It drives me nuts, gonna have to look into the root cause of that.

The SGC speaker has no issues at all. I use it on CW mostly, has some nice filtering and sounds more natural than the West Mountain.

Wow, 6 pages on this modification. I have been working on the "DX" models since the second generation first came out. And not one of those radios that suffered from the "white noise" issue was ever cured by doing it. I am also trying to figure out how "image rejection" and "White noise" are being confused?

They are Two different issues.

98% of the "DX' models that I have worked on suffered from an impropper RX alignment. Specifically I have found that there are allot of shops that either purposly jack up both VCO voltages as a means to increase RX, and or totally overlook their settings.

They are both apposed to be set at 1 volt +or- .1, I have seen them set as high as 1.8 volts. This of course is not the only thing that would cause this issue Such as higher noise figure components used in manufacturing. This is just my experence with it.

This can be easily be checked with a volt meter following the service manual pinouts for testing.

Hope this info helps someone out.

73's
M.S.

I've owned many of these radios over the years. When a few of them had a PROPER alignment, they all quieted down. Until someone posts a credible before and after video on this mod, I will call BS on it. This mod has been around for quite some time. Plus, as long as the Ranger "white noise" has been a problem, then this mod, if it works, would be a standard requirement or otherwise, pushed by many shops.

Well Duster on my way through Carlisle PA today I dropped off my 2950DX at DTB Radio, guess I will see when I get it back next week from Dave how the difference is. I'll be honest with the review because that radio was not bad to start with so we will see.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.