• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

dual band base ant.duplexer

SARGE

Dec 26, 2005
TEXAS
Do you need a duplexer when using a dual band radio as a base or are there ant. that you can buy that dont need one,2m/70cm.Thanks.

The Cushcraft ARX-270 is a very good dual band antenna. I've been using one for about 20 years now and it hasn't given me any trouble at all. I think it's still on the market.

One low-loss, short-as-reasonably-possible coax to the feedpoint; that's it.

SARGE said:
Do you need a duplexer when using a dual band radio as a base or are there ant. that you can buy that dont need one,2m/70cm.Thanks.

My IC-207 dual band does not require a duplexer, but I seem to recall a rig I once owned that did, and I bought a Diamond. It worked very well

It all depends on the radio.
Many dual band rigs have an internal duplexer and a single SO-239 antenna connector. You can just attach a dual band antenna and go.
Others, such as my Yaesu FT-847, have separate outputs for HF, 6m, 2m & 70 cm. I run a dual band Diamond X-50 for 2/440 and have a duplexer combining the separate outputs of 2m/440 into a single antenna feedline.

What dual band radio do you have, or are thinking of using?

The radio that I am going to use is a Kenwood TW4000A. It has 2 connections on the back one for 2M and one for 70CM. This radio was given to me and I took it to a local HAM and he said it worked great he used it about 2 weeks.I use it to moniter the local ham net.Thanks

since as you say..
your radio has 2 seperate hook ups..
one is for UHF and other is for VHF..

then you do not require a external duplexer..

just about any dual band antenna will do..

myself i use a comet GP-9 (works extremly well)
if and when it becomes nesessary to replace the GP-9
then i will do so with the Dimond
http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/x700hna.html

above antenna is likly the best consumer dual band antenna out there..

Later

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned