• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dual band mobile

mrgodlike

Sep 20, 2013
Can anyone tell me by the pic I uploaded if they think I may harm my ht with this antenna. I don't have one yet, but found this one in my old stock. Thanks in advance.

Rocky

P.S. I will be using it for a Yaesu VX-8GR And a Yaesu VX-8R, if it won't harm my rigs.

Attachments

• 100_1655.jpg
    100_1655.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 179
  • 100_1662.jpg
    100_1662.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 176

HT's are pretty good at working into weird SWR. The duckie antenna they come with is hardly ever a great match and with the antenna being held in different positions and in differing proximity to the body, inside a car etc the SWR varies wildly. Plus the power is low too. That being said I would certainly prefer to check the SWR when using any non-stock antenna. My big question is if the antenna you want to use is dual band or just 2m. I am guessing that since it appears to have a PL-259 connector on it that it is at least a 2m antenna and not a cellular antenna. As for 70cm......:confused:

Reactions: 1 person
Looks an awful lot like the $25 MFJ dual bander I've got on my HT/Car at the moment. The whip extends 16" out of the coupling nut. Works "okay" as a temporary set up until I get a V71 and Comet 2X4 installed. SWR's under 1:5 on 2m and under 2:1 on 440.
mfjdualband.JPG

Actually if my memory serves me correctly, I think it was a cellular antenna at one time. I ordered a dual band several days ago, just haven't got it yet. After this thread, I noticed a bad coax so I won't take any chances. Thanks everyone.

Rocky
KD8ILS

High Gain NAGOYA UT-106

You get what you pay for. It's way smaller than it appears.

Attachments

• $T2eC16RHJHEFFl3E(QYgBR27C7(5pg~~60_1.JPG
    $T2eC16RHJHEFFl3E(QYgBR27C7(5pg~~60_1.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 229
That antenna is about 15 inches long. That means it's a 1/4 wave on 2 meters and as such, has a negative gain factor, it has no gain. It can have some gain on 70 cm, but not anything extraordinary.
- 'Doc

That antenna is about 15 inches long. That means it's a 1/4 wave on 2 meters and as such, has a negative gain factor, it has no gain. It can have some gain on 70 cm, but not anything extraordinary.
- 'Doc

It's kinda junk too...

I've never had my hands on this antenna so can't say anything about it from experience. There are some general things that I do know about, such as the so-called 'gain', the 'general' thingys don't change, they are sort of 'standard'. Can't change physics and that's what it amounts to. All that 'high gain' from a 1/4 wave antenna is advertising (nasty word)...
- 'Doc

The use of an HT can certainly be convenient, but it's also limiting to a certain extent because it's so 'convenient'. Adding an external antenna is both beneficial and detrimental without a fair amount of care. Connecting/disconnecting that antenna get's to be a PITA after a while, and if you aren't at least sort of careful the HT's connector can break. I do it too, and so far haven't broken anything. The key phrase in that is 'so far'! I figure sooner or later I'll break something.
Antennas for HTs are the same as for a mobile or fixed radio, the bigger the thing is the more performance, usually. How you go about mounting that antenna is also a factor. Mag-mounts tend to work okay, but not as well as a fixed mounted antenna (lots of 'fudge' in that, take it for what it's worth). It's better to have a large, strong magnet than a smaller one, until it get's completely ridiculous.
As performance increases so does the cost. I can certainly understand the 'frugal' aspect, but that frugality has to stretch at times, you know?
I doubt if any of this is going to be a particular benefit to you, but it's something you really should keep in mind.
- 'Doc

(One 'trick' with a 'carried' HT's antenna is to use a real live 1/4 wave and add a 'rat tail' to it, it does make a difference. You basically change from a 1/4 wave to a vertical 1/2 wave antenna. Still won't do 'miracles', but it works.)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.