• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dual Banders with 400-480MHz TX

VK1

May 18, 2012
Australia
Hey everyone, i'm new to this forum, and to the hobby itself actually. The first radio i've got just a couple of days ago was a Baofeng UV-5R, which for the money (under 60 dollars) is very well built and satisfies most of my needs. I'm using it with a MFJ 1717SF, so the range is quite good as well.

I've been looking to get something better, like a Yaesu but one thing that surprised me was that none of the Yaesu HTs have a 400-480MHz band TX. The Australian Citizen Band is 476/477MHz (and 27Mhz as well) and is probably the most important and most used frequency. So what i would like is a dual bander that has the regular ham bands, as well as TX up to 480Mhz. Max budget is under 400 dollars, any recommendations? VHF mode is quite important as well, as i am told it has better range out in the open, which is probably 90% of the Australian landscape.

Oh, and one more thing, does a 5/8 wave antennae give better range than a 1/2 wave on a HT? I was told that a 5/8 reduces the skywave so more energy is transmitted to the horizons (which is good) but it requires an effective ground plane so is it effective on a HT? How about a dipole, via a tiger-tail/counterpoise mod or a RatTail antennae booster? I'm looking for Yagi-yagi gain or anything but i do want the best range possible.

Last edited:

To Start..
Welcome to the Forum..

Regarding the dual banded radio for your requested frequency's
I need to look and see what HT's when moded go there
( i think most do actually.. just never tried higher then 468 mhz )

Regarding the 5/8 wave HT antenna..
in Theory the answer is Yes.
in Reality typically Not.

However those typical rubber duck antennas the radios come with are garbage...
Many of the Comet and diamond High Gain antennas do much better.
You can add a Pig tail easily for slightly better use (more for 2 & 1&1/4 meters)

Thanks for the welcome!

The 476/477MHz CB band is unique to Australia, and it falls outside of many countries' ham band allocations so it's very hard to find a radio that does both of them, apart from the Chinese Wouxuns, Baofengs etc, but i was looking for something better, especially on the TX front, since the UV5R was measured at only 3W, and i've seen bad measurements about it's out of phase filters.

What is the nature of the mod that allows reception up to 480? Like i said, i am new to this hobby and have limited modification skills.

Most modifications require the removal of a surface mount jumper/diode/resistor.
From what I have seen of the modified american versions of radios, you will only gain TX from 410 - 470.
I know that my TH-F6 will only transmit from 410-469.9 after modification.

I have a small mobile rig (IC-208H) that receives the band you're looking for and more. It transmits on the VHF and UHF Amateur bands (one at a time).

Here are the specs (for Australia):
TX: 144 - 148 MHz, 430 - 440 MHz

RX: 118 - 173.995 MHz
230 - 549.995 MHz
810 - 999.995 MHz

Since I don't do out-of-band mods to my radios, I'm not able to offer an off-the-cuff answer on that. Maybe someone else on the forum can help. It is worth noting: Something must be available as the U.S.A. version transmits on the 440 - 450 MHz spectrum.

I know it's not a portable, however it does have the requested RX coverage you requested as standard.

Mike

Hey VK1
There is a trade off in performance with wide band ham radios. I have an alinco dr435 which does 400-490 but it is deaf at 477 and only puts out 17w of its rated 35w at that frequency. It is way better to have a dedicated radio for 477 chook band. Look around for an old commercial radio like a prm8030 or older kenwood radios. I have a modified kenwood tk801 modded for 40ch and puts out a solid 40w (cost me $100). There are many cheap commercial radios around. Also I have heard good things about the TYT mobile radios for sale on eBay ATM (400-480mhz) for around the $250 mark they put out 45w.
I have used a ic208h before and although rx was ok it suffered from major intermod and rx power was low (around 15-20w at 477). You will never get good performance out on both 70cm and 477 chook band

Looks like i will have to get a Icom UHF CB radio and a dual-bander like a Yaesu VX-6R or FT60R then. Thanks for the recommendations!

Yes it is!
VK1: ACT
VK2: NSW
VK3: Victoria
VK4: Queensland
VK5: South Australia
VK6: Western Australia
VK7: Tasmania
VK8: Northern Territory

Yes it is!
VK1: ACT
VK2: NSW
VK3: Victoria
VK4: Queensland
VK5: South Australia
VK6: Western Australia
VK7: Tasmania
VK8: Northern Territory

Yep - that's the list I remember. I also have a few VK9s (Cocos-Keeling, Lord Howe, Norfolk and Willis). And a couple of VKØs for good measure.

I have to ask: has there ever been a DXpedition to the top of Uluru? It would probably not be permitted by the Original Australians but I wouldn't put it past somebody just for the notoriety.

Ehm, not sure really, never been to the northern territory, but you can go to the top at certain times, it's sort of jointly managed and the name Ulurus-Ayer's rock reflects that. DX is long range contact right? Sorry i'm new to this and don't have anything below VHF. Since you can go to the top, i think you could bring along a portable Yaesu HF rig along.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.