• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dual Coax with single 102"

Status
Not open for further replies.
linearone said:
getting back to the base station idea... if you can lay your hands on another 102 inch whip you could mount them one on each end of a double wide. provided the wheels are still on your house you can back your rig up to it and spin it for directionality. This would make a very very low cost directional antenna. you could even try grounding one antenna and see if your antenna gets more powerful in the other direction... An honest base antenna would work as well if not better though...

haha, nice!!!!

linearone said:
getting back to the base station idea... if you can lay your hands on another 102 inch whip you could mount them one on each end of a double wide. provided the wheels are still on your house you can back your rig up to it and spin it for directionality. This would make a very very low cost directional antenna. you could even try grounding one antenna and see if your antenna gets more powerful in the other direction... An honest base antenna would work as well if not better though...

yeppers, and the next project cooter will be :LOL:

"If I am right, Co-phase starts out at 75 ohm and is 12'
for a mobile."

two 75 ohm lines any odd number of quarter wavelengths. 12' would be a half wavelength in polyethylene at the frequency in question and would not perform the necessary impedance transformation.

Just depends on if you are talking about the length from the center to one end, or total length. The 'right' length from the center to one end does need to be an odd multiple of an electrical 1/4 wave length. That length varies because of the velocity factor of the particular 75 ohm coax used. For the average everyday stuff you find, something on the order of 5'11" is an electrical 1/4 wave (assuming 0.66 VF). From there, multiply that length by an odd multiple so that it 'stretches' to where it has to go. That multiplying thingy is for each side, not the total length! 3 x this side and 3 x that side = 6 times the 1/4 wave if you are thinking about total length. Gotta be careful about 'where' you do the multiplying or it won't work right... make sense?
- 'Doc

laugh your ass off all you want. they sell it because the manufacturer makes it, NOT BECAUSE IT'S DESIGNED FOR ANY PARTICULAR APPLICATION. this is why most hobbyists can't get dual antennas to function properly because they don't have a clue what they're doing and don't understand the principals involved.

what is required to match two 50 ohm loads to a single 50 ohm source is a harness composed of two sections, each consisting of a 1/4 section of line. (1/4 wave transformer) a 1/2 wave line mirrors impedance and a 1/4 wave line inverts impedance. in the case of dual antennas we want to invert the impedances presented by the loads to match them to the source transmitter.

with polyethylene line at .66% VF the length of a 1/4 wave line at cb frequencies is approximately 6' and ANY ODD MULTIPLE.

246 / 27.205 X .66% VF = 5.968' or 5' 11.6"

using foam line @ .78%VF the length is approximately 7' OR ANY ODD MULTIPLE.

246 / 27.205 X .78% VF = 7.053' or 7' 0.6"

so the lengths required for a 1/4 wave transformer based on VF and the frequency in question would be:

6', 18' 30' etc. for polyethylene @ .66% VF

7'. 21' 35' etc. for foam @ .78% VF

since there is no feedline impedance that is close to that value and since we are matching two 50 ohm loads in parallel, (which equals 25 ohms) then two 70 - 75 ohm lines in parallel provides the necessary impedance transformation.

1/4 Matching Section = sqrt ( Z1 * Z2)

sqrt ( 25 * 50 )
sqrt (1250)
35.35 ohms

go google it and if you plan on arguing the point then bring the facts and the math with you.

you're wrong, get over it.

"I ain't going to whine over it I use tunable antennas"

that has absolutely nothing to do with what is being discussed.
it takes a 1/4 wave matching transformer to match two 50 ohm loads in parallel to a 50 ohm transmitter, pure and simple, regardless as to whether the antennas are "tunable" or not.

the facts are that the ability to understand the operation of a dual antenna system (or any antenna system for that matter) involves an understanding of the mathematics involved. you asked the question and it's been answered correctly.

a pair of 12' foot lines of 75 (poly or foam) IS NOT A 1/4 WAVE TRANSFORMER @ 27Mhz.. and performs poorly when used with dual antennas.

as far as i know THIS IS A TECHNICAL FORUM. you're obviously not motivated to understand the how and the why of any of this so in that case just run with the laymens translation that i have already provided and don't bother yourself with the rest.

75 ohm feedline in lengths of 6' and 18' in a polyethylene composition (or 7' and 21' when using foam) are all that's required to match dual antennas installed on most vehicles, tractor rigs included.

all dual antenna matching harnesses ARE NOT 75 OHMS........

Freightliner Cabover Antenna Matching

Freightliner Cabover Antenna Matching

yes, RG-62, 95 ohms....and you can parallel two lines to cut the impedance in half.

actually the variety of differing impedances that feedlines are available in affords quite a bit of matching flexibility when you think about it in these terms.

freecell ,
all of what your saying is correct..but if you look at the first post
the question was duel coax but in a further post he did say leave one antenna off so this makes it 75ohm Co-phased coax not 2 50ohm pieces of coax running into a T connector...
so instead of running me through you book BS which is 3/4 wrong in the first place...
so if it was like you applied it
your wrong...mr tech (mush have you licence..acting snobby like you are):p you can pass that BS by noobs but not by me so give me a break...don't answer this ..i already think your a book fool anyway...so don't bother

the facts are that the ability to understand the operation of a dual antenna system (or any antenna system for that matter) involves an understanding of the mathematics involved. you asked the question and it's been answered correctly

lmao great sales pitch!!!!!

were talking about coax going to it!!!

When I use to do mobiles, we used RG-71 100 ohm coax too. We found it only at military surplus. It seemed to us to work pretty well, but I'm not sure we really knew what we were doing. The construction of this coax did not allow them to hold up well in this installation under a truck, but we felt they did work. They were prone to getting water in the harness.

We just tuned the harness by trimming to the best SWR and then installed it with two SS 102" whips attached to pickup rear bumpers. They worked out to make a pretty short harness, but they were just wide enough to go between the antennas. They were not long enough to use with mirror mounts however.

We did use a little math after getting the first cut @ 468/freq as the base number. We did not figure VF in our math. We figured the trimming took care of whatever the VF was. As I recall we always came up long and had to trim a bit to end up at the beginning frequency.

whats missing there hmmmmmmm 12 and 14 what you don't like them numbers??

RG-58, the most commonly used mobile antenna coax length would have to be 12 feet to be a 1/2 wavelength. RG-8X would need to be 14 feet.

so many people using this and your calling them all wrong..

tisk tisk....

it only appears that i'm wrong there because you can't read.
i was talking about 1/4 wavelength matching sections not 1/2 wave lines. 1/2 wave lines mirror impedance and 1/4 wave lines invert impedance.

you don't use a 102" on one side of a dual antenna harness without an antenna in the other side. generally speaking, dual antennas cannot be configured using rg58 for the harness in any but the most exceptional instances. (see links) all dual antenna harnesses are not 75 ohms. 12' of 75 is not a 1/4 wave transformer at 27 mhz.. 12' of poly and 14' of foam is a 1/2 wave line but a 1/4 wave line is required for the proper matching of dual antennas, not 1/2 wave.

the lengths above are for 1/4 wave lines........

coax length would have to be 12 feet to be a 1/2 wavelength. RG-8X would need to be 14 feet.

these lengths are for 1/2 wave lines. any other questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.