• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dual final neuter switch....

144inBama

Apr 22, 2020
Lower Alabama
Is it possible, on the 99v2, to install a variable to lower the output power? I would like to run the radio on my 1X4 again but alas it's too much drive for her. I know I could simply turn the power down but I would also want to run my 2 pill and 500V with it so I'd want full output for that. I was thinking along the lines of a circuit similar to that of the Palomar L/M/H or if possible (and preferred) a switch like the Connex 3300 ... I just have no idea where to begin on the venture or if it's possible.

Reactions: Slowmover

When I got the 959 at Larry’s he said he had no problems getting single final Galaxy. But, zero Export Galaxy.

So, get a stock 959 and convert it to high power, add echo/time delay plus robot voice and a channel expansion kit . . and then run your proposed circuit. Brilliant, huh?

Last edited:
Reactions: 144inBama
Just thinking out loud, or maybe its one or my friends Johnny, Jim, Jack or the Captain talking, but before you invest in the dual final 959; might it be more on the cost gain side to add the RM stinger board, with the upgraded power wires and extra ferrite. Then you can easily have the on off switch for the RM Stinger board. Just tune for a clean signal, and add the old Connex type echo board, the "I ain't got no panties on..." noise toy, and D104 lollipop with old Bell telephone cable. Sorry.. I got carried away.

Last edited:
The v2 appeals to me not so much for the power, but the AM/FM/SSB and 8 bands as well as the 10K switch, echo and the fine/course clarifier. What I'll most likely end up doing is just turning the power down to 20-25 PEP max, have a complete alignment done and call it good. The 1X4 is "supposed" to handle 30-40 PEP drive but I've blown 3 transistors in that box, 2 of those a month apart using that radio, the driver transistor and the same final transistor twice. There is little difference in the PEP output using the 959 vs v2, maybe 50 PEP so I guess if I want to run it with the 500V, I'll just go back in the v2 and turn it up. I was just looking for a easy way to snub the PEP on the radio.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.