• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dummy Load

Nope. It is a single 50 I think.......or 100 watt ceramic resistor.

10% is a typical tolerance and the load should measure between 45 and 55 ohms and show 1.1:1. I have started looking at ceramic chip resistors on a LARGE heatsink and have bought a pair of 100 ohm 800 watt chip resistors. I mounted each of them on their own heatsink mounted back to back and wired in parallel. Makes a NICE kilowatt dry load. More if I put a fan on it. IIRC I got the resistors from Florida RF on Ebay.

I'm also interested in using these chip resistors for a dummy load.

My concern is they won't be able dissipate large amounts of power for an extended period of time. With the device being so small I don't think it can dissipate the heat fast enough.

I have a 16x10x1/4 inch cooper heat spreader bolted to an aluminum heat sink I am planning to use.

I'm also interested in using these chip resistors for a dummy load.

My concern is they won't be able dissipate large amounts of power for an extended period of time. With the device being so small I don't think it can dissipate the heat fast enough.

I have a 16x10x1/4 inch cooper heat spreader bolted to an aluminum heat sink I am planning to use.

Ceramic chip resistors are fine for dummy loads as long as they have proper connection to the heatsink. You have the right idea about using a copper spreader bolted to the heatsink but you must have VERY smooth flat surfaces. FWIW a copper spreader half that size is quite adequate.

Ceramic chip resistors are fine for dummy loads as long as they have proper connection to the heatsink. You have the right idea about using a copper spreader bolted to the heatsink but you must have VERY smooth flat surfaces. FWIW a copper spreader half that size is quite adequate.
The original plan was for a 3kw dc-70cm dummy load but I ran into some problems so the project got put on hold, I also have a tendency to go overboard sometimes.

The original plan was for a 3kw dc-70cm dummy load but I ran into some problems so the project got put on hold, I also have a tendency to go overboard sometimes.
Isn't anything worth doing is worth overdoing? I call it "Diesel Design" where everything is mechanically over designed.
Needless to say I never successfully designed a airplane. It would taxi like a bat out of hell, and take heavy bumps that would crush most landing gear.
Maximum Service ceiling "Zero feet above ground level."

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.