• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

dx 70 mobile?

triple5usb

Sep 17, 2013
home same as you!
is there a way to block accidental tx on frequencies your antenna is not swr,d for?
i was looking to get another dx70 for mobile use and i like to rx around the bands
but i know from experience that an accidental key drop the mic bump it ect when your not running a matcher or have good swr ect can and will blow the tx .
NEVER had this prob with cheap n nasty cb sets but had exactly this with
a dx70 years ago

I don't believe the rig has that feature...lol I've also never heard of anyone blowing finals with a split second drop of a mic that may key up into high swr. I've even keyed a mic accidentally a few more times than I like to admit into air (no antenna attached) with no damage. Don't sweat about it.

I don't believe the rig has that feature...lol I've also never heard of anyone blowing finals with a split second drop of a mic that may key up into high swr. I've even keyed a mic accidentally a few more times than I like to admit into air (no antenna attached) with no damage. Don't sweat about it.

your not hearing me. as i said i have NEVER had an issue with other rigs either even had them keyed with no ant for way too long just for the heck of it on junker radios to try and break them and il admit even on good rigs by accident that the coax broke away at the rear and i never noticed and still no issue

but i had a dx70 hooked up this one time and i was out of band rx-ing and long story short the mic got keyed up under piles of crap on the desk and it did break the radio cost me 150 bucks to have it fixed

i guess if the power was switched to minimum it would lessen any chance
but the problem is this will rx/tx pretty much 0-30+ mhz and 50mhz band so having just a good 120 ch cb ant mobile ant and recieveing in the single digit mhz is fine but
then making an accidental key with 100 watts its not going to like it

well as some rigs have a high swr warning light it would be good if dangerously high swr would automaticly cut the tx or drop the power to a minimum to save any damage.
again ive never had an issue with a regular 4w cb rig

And you likely never will with 4 watts. 100 watts is a different story and 1000 watts......oh boy....BIG difference again. Unplug the mike when receiving and plug it in when you want to talk. Either that or hang it up or keep it somewhere safe. There is no such feature to inhibit TX when the SWR is high but it will reduce power to between 25 and 40 watts depending on how high the SWR is but that may still not be enough.

Unless he has a CRE-8900 them he could program whatever swr level he wants the radio to unkey and also has a timeout timer that can be set for those who occasionally sit on their mic's. Mic hanger. ;)

it would just be neat to flick through the bands rx but be able to switch off the tx maybe a switch on side of mic ( as per grinders post) and get into the habit of switching it off when out of band
i know what your thinking ,just get into the habit of not txing!,, but you know how it is your driving along on rx theres nothing for a while and you get sidetracked then a signal comes in cq,ing or you want to put out a call your eyes are on the road and you go to call because your just used to it being in band.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.