• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dx anyone?? is 11 mtrs open?

ghutch

Sep 24, 2010
have not been on the air in six months due to the repair shop in colorado not able to fix my unit!! they returned it un repaired so I sent it to RCI shop in california and it took a week to get the radio repaired!!!! should have sent it to the RCI folks to start with......did not know that they only have the one factory shop!! had a bad final? they alinged and tell me it tested great so just wondering if 11 has been good??
before the issue it was very good in south texas ..... hope it has gotten better(y)
looks like the dx may have slowed some based on the Dx reports ....hope everyone is covered up with Dx and have not had time to list all the contacts??

as info....the RCI shop did exactly what they stated....fixed in the timeline stated, no cost to ship it back, cost was to the penny no surprises!! no funny biz or calls saying can't find the problem.....seems to be a great place to get repairs handled. if anyone should be able to fix tese radios I hope the RCI shop could get it right!
I told the guys during my call that they should get on this site and answer questions on these products....might be a great help to our members and to there shop. (y)

It would be good to have some reps on the forum.
As for DX I have been listening on my g5rv because my quad is down and 38 has been in and out but not that great down here in aus.

Dx has been strong here (especially early morning and late afternoon/early evening), but all my contacts have been with stations east of the Rockies. West coast has been totally dead. The exception was today when I talked to ICEMAN in Nome Alaska. Funny thing though is that I usually get the gulf coast, but lately I've been bouncing into Indiana,Illinois,Ohio, Penn, NY,etc. I´m a 38lsb junkie, so all of my contacts are on that freq. There was a lot of solar activity today, so maybe things will pick up this weekend.

HOMER BB - I'll bet if you put up a horizontal dipole that points your signal south, we could talk everyday.(y)

well i'm looking forward to getting back into some Dx.....**Jump_im**
unit 399 maybe we'll be able to QSO....i was getting into Columbia before the radio went down. talk to a guy from in fact from Medellin ?? he also has a great website....uses stacked 6 element beams at 120 ft !!! some station. he turned north and worked stations right up the center of the US into canada....i heard him later off the side of his beam calling into the pacific islands....anyway if you hear me calling it would great to QSO. :D
i agree it would be nice to have some factory knowledge on our forum....someone that might be able to supply the RCI folks with a wish list for radio features! 73

able to supply the RCI folks with a wish list for radio features!

I agree
I own a mk1 2950 and although I do love it, there are certain options that I would like added to this radio that would help both the 10m junkie and free band/cb'r in regards to ssb to make this a real radio and not just a beefed up cb with FM

Rb30....i agree...no one uses FM stateside do they? RCI could change the SSB 10-11 meter radios without question. Does anyone use echo and talkback on SSB? i thought these were toys for truckers? a serious SSB unit will sell sell to SSB'er and truckers will buuy it as well.
if someone would build a filters setup for the RCI radios...for SSB....like the splashgaurd AM filters i for one would purchase and have it installed.

Narrow filter like the yeticom optima is a must. I do use FM for 10m so I think it should stay. I should have added this bit to my last post to clarify

Is the yeticom a better radio than the 2950? on SSB. What is the filter bandwidth? That is exactly the issue i have with most CB/10mtr/export radios. The whistles and echo talkback etc are all a waste of electronics....selectivity/filters,qaulity and sensitive receivers are what I will pay for.....as most on these forums.

As a side note got the radio back from RCI tonite! Mounted it back in the tacoma and made a call or two....felt good. conditions were on the way out but heard south america, jamacia, trinidad and various us stations. let see what the conditions are over the next few days.

RCI shop send the parts they replaced....bad final, diode,cap also replaced a clarifier pot 4.00(was getting hard to tune) and we had not talked about it during our phone calls....very good!! 80.00 labor + parts
Radio Shop Supply.....so far has handled this repair with a set price, great customer service (Chip is the mgr or owner?), timeline was dead on, no funny biz/bsy. If all there transactions are a smooth and professional as mine they deserve to be in biz.....customer service in todays world is almost zero....
I can't believe my radio sat 5 months with mutiple emails back and forth...and came back not repaired!!!! with a sorry note!

ghutch

The 11 meter band has been open pretty good since you sent your radio in. Lots of DX coming in from many places (mostly North & South America and . S.Pacific).

Get the beam pointed to the South Pacific and you will find that Australia, Hawaii and New Zealand are still in there a lot. By going towards the W. Indies, you will find more stations also.

Alaska stations will start appearing more and more as the summer progresses to, so start pointing the beam up that way from time to time. I usually talk to several fishing boats along the S.E. coast through the summer months, plus Anchorage and various places up there.

Good DXing

Last edited:
Hey Ghutch
I dont know if the yeticom is better however I REALLY do like its style and features. I have not herd a bad thing yet about them. As for the filter band width I can not remember however if it is not listed on the yeticom web site then I'm sure that Dave can chime in here and answer that one for you.
I agree that talk back, echo and all that plastic shite is for that "I am mr awesome riding the trash pile and I just got brown um I mean down" crowd that you here on ch6(it makes my wife cringe and myself ashamed to be a radio op).
For me it to is about selectivity, having the option of a narrow filter to be available and stable on SSB.

AS TO SKIP FROM DEEP SOUTH TEXAS (RIO GRANDE VALLEY)

hey g hutch... west coast has benn spankin it i had a qso with estasion coral (that is coral station translated from spanish) SHE IS RUNNING A YASAEU WITH A MACO THREE ELEMENT BEAM AND DOING A FINE JOB 2 QSO S A WEE4K APART ON 27.430 SOMETIMES CONTACT MADE ON 27.555....MY MACO GROUND PLANE IS 10 FT TO GROUND RADIALS AND NOT FINISHED TUNING YET!!! I HAVE BEEN SHOOTING 27.385 LSB LATELY...SEE u THERE??? 25 TEXAS...RALPH

Thanks for all the comments....got the radio hooked up and ready to get started Dx'ing.....hope the europe africa stations comeback as the fall and winter conditions come back.
25texas.....keep a ear out for me....333 south texas... I heard a station from port lavaca a few weeks back....he was talkin to a dx station in europe but i could hear both. port lavaca is about the same mileage from corpus as the valley....maybe we can hookup on the air. at this time i'm purely mobile station but it works well. conditionhere were great back in the fall thru the first of the year. looks like we have a few more months before the cycle starts back down. if i had more metal in the air we might be able to talk on a consistant basis.....lots of salt water between us

I've had the radio and the scanner on the last 2 days and only hearing local traffic, no DX.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.