• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

DX-Skip

I think your opinion might be shared with a precious few CB radio operators. If you listen to the CB band at all; you can hear a pretty happy and glib bunch of operators. Seems to me that most of them are jumping at the chance to give their radio experience a bit of a change and perhaps some much needed flavor. You are probably in a minority that an be counted on one hand.

As much as the FCC has said 'no' to CB skip talking; it is equally as absurd for them to tell operators not to talk on the radio when skip is in.
What were they thinking?
The answer is - of course - that they were not . . .

With the sunspot cycle about to be at max next year the best way to get reliable local radio communications is as already mentioned would be for you and your wife to get your tech class ham radio ticket and use the local repeaters

What I have been pondering is putting in extra channels like I had back in the eighties with my 148GTL I had a Digi-Scan 400 I think it was called. I am sure the extra freq's aren't as busy as the regular 40.

Man, you have been away from radio for a while haven't you? Those extra channels you had back then are extremely busy nowadays when the DX is rolling. Most of the "CBers" buy export radios today that come stock with frequencies ranging from 26.000 up to 28.000 and above. A lot of them cover 24.000-32.000MHz. They may be a little quieter than the regular 40 channels but they are still quite busy with "freeband" operators when the DX is rolling.

I think we all have cell phones and the I.Q. to own and operate one and don't think your comment is what we needed to figure out how to now communicate. Talking on the two way is a different form of communication, setting up your station modifying it to your like and talking with several stations and driving professionally I haven't seen anybody advertising their personal cell phone number yet, and I don't advertise mine. I purchased radio's and amps for two vehicles and for a base station. The radio's and all are quality pieces of equipment and work great it's just to bad they are about worthless for day time communications especially these days when you basically don't have to compete locally for a channel and the local trouble makers don't exist anymore.

Reason #4,348 to get your Amateur Radio license. Worldwide communication 24/7 (well almost) ;)

Why do you think this Robb??? I feel 5-6 years of F2 propagation on CB/11M is a safe wager.

Well, because that NASA doesn't hold a lot of trust in this particular cycle behaving as previous cycles have. On SpaceWeather.com, there was an article (I think it was about a week ago - BTW) that stated (from NASA) that they believe this cycle may 'peter out' prematurely this time around. Of course, that is speculation on their part. But they are expert speculators in that field - aren't they.

We will just have to wait and see . . .

I'll be glad for what I get either way . . .

Well, because that NASA doesn't hold a lot of trust in this particular cycle behaving as previous cycles have. On SpaceWeather.com, there was an article (I think it was about a week ago - BTW) that stated (from NASA) that they believe this cycle may 'peter out' prematurely this time around. Of course, that is speculation on their part. But they are expert speculators in that field - aren't they.

We will just have to wait and see . . .

I'll be glad for what I get either way . . .

From the way they predicted the beginning of the cycle I wouldn't exactly call them experts. There was also something a week or so ago that said this cycle is showing far more sunspots than was originally expected too.

I think your opinion might be shared with a precious few CB radio operators. If you listen to the CB band at all; you can hear a pretty happy and glib bunch of operators. Seems to me that most of them are jumping at the chance to give their radio experience a bit of a change and perhaps some much needed flavor. You are probably in a minority that an be counted on one hand.

As much as the FCC has said 'no' to CB skip talking; it is equally as absurd for them to tell operators not to talk on the radio when skip is in.
What were they thinking?
The answer is - of course - that they were not . . .
I think on this forum I am a minority but for the majority of people I am definitely not. The proof is in how many cb'ers that are left out there. I have met a few people who still have a base antenna up and they are not on the radio any more they just haven't bothered to take it down. Take for instance I am the only base station in my whole county and almost the only mobile too " I think I am though" I live less than 90 miles from New York city. History has proved that people would put up with the trouble makers and the dead keying and perverted comments etc I believe it is the inefficiency of the product sold that has killed this hobby the only people left these days are the skip talkers you can hardly do anything else so it would only be natural to get comments that I don't reflect the views of the majority. Is it really so great to try and talk for a few seconds after many many try's to some cb'er you can't really have a conversation with whom you may never talk to again. To the person who told me it has always been like this tell that crap to someone who wasn't there! Do you really think this would have been one of the biggest trends covering two decades with 9 pounds of static and bleed over and transmitting range measured in yards It was that big because people could communicate locally and because you could talk locally we had R.E.A.C.T. stations covering channel 9 everywhere. And cell phones did not kill cb either I talked with many people back then on a regular basis that I never talked to on the phone and if I did it was because we became friends from communicating on the cb.

That was probably me that told you that,almost. I didn't say it was like that for two decades, I said it has always been like that IN CYCLES. I even posted a link explaining the 11 year solar cycle and how the skip comes and goes over the years. You will have several years when it's hard to talk local followed by a few years when you can and then it starts all over again. I've been doing this radio thing since the 70's and have seen a few solar cycles. Perhaps you misunderstood what I said or perhaps you didn't read the link.

I think on this forum I am a minority but for the majority of people I am definitely not. The proof is in how many cb'ers that are left out there. I have met a few people who still have a base antenna up and they are not on the radio any more they just haven't bothered to take it down. Take for instance I am the only base station in my whole county and almost the only mobile too " I think I am though" I live less than 90 miles from New York city. History has proved that people would put up with the trouble makers and the dead keying and perverted comments etc I believe it is the inefficiency of the product sold that has killed this hobby the only people left these days are the skip talkers you can hardly do anything else so it would only be natural to get comments that I don't reflect the views of the majority. Is it really so great to try and talk for a few seconds after many many try's to some cb'er you can't really have a conversation with whom you may never talk to again. To the person who told me it has always been like this tell that crap to someone who wasn't there! Do you really think this would have been one of the biggest trends covering two decades with 9 pounds of static and bleed over and transmitting range measured in yards It was that big because people could communicate locally and because you could talk locally we had R.E.A.C.T. stations covering channel 9 everywhere. And cell phones did not kill cb either I talked with many people back then on a regular basis that I never talked to on the phone and if I did it was because we became friends from communicating on the cb.

Hammer, just a thought, and I don't know how it is in your location, have you tried moving off your comfort channel? Usually on cb 37-40 is SSB
skip and 11 and lower seems to be AM skip. I have seen quiet channels in the middle in my area. If everything is loaded buy some export radios and find a quiet frequency for your needs to the home base. I'm in the Indy area and I get amused a bit when I hear the locals complain at times about the skip, but they won't move. 38lsb is nuts when the cycle is in, but just move up to 27.410 and there's nothing. Lots of local nets on the lower ham bands deal with the same thing, when the dx is strong, move lower, no biggie, it's part of radio. JMHO

It's kind of absurd how this post got to be this way or that way. This particular subject is out of every one's control whether you are pro or con about skip talking or noise pollution, remember I think it was Mark Twain who said everyone complains about the weather but nobody does anything about it. One comment was made about the folks on 38 lower side complaining about skip I am one of the people they are complaining about as I was talking for three or four minutes the other day to England then to Ireland. I really didn't think twice about it as there is nobody in my area on ssb. Well anyway this has been interesting none the less.

We talk local on .375 ssb here everyday. It is quit enough to talk to each other and we also get the occasional skipshooter to join in with us. Pretty fun lately.

Not that there is any use in complaining about it or the FCC allocated the worst frequencies available to citizens band they are useless for a form of two way communication. The manufacturers of C.B. don't mention a word about these conditions on the box because it would drop sales even lower than they are now. How would they advertise this honestly " yes buy this radio for talking several feet away to another C.B. and listen to the hetro dine noise that four watts won't let you talk to distant stations either with out an illegal amplifier and some luck" Remember channel 9 that's a lie and a joke from the C.B. manufacturers! I'm in this for the duration no matter what I keep buying more watts and bigger this and that and I did talk to England today on 38 lower side and that was exciting but I am also contributing to the problem with hundreds of watts it takes to make local contact anymore I am stepping on someone else's feet out there in skip land who is trying very hard to talk with their local station.

hammer0630 does have a point. What the heck was the FCC thinking when they allocated HF freqs to a Citizen Band for local communications only? Pretty tough to take the FCC seriously after that cruel joke.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.