• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

DX window 75m reminder for Generals

Generals, myself included, should be reminded that the low range of access is 3.800 LSB....

This means using LSB that you must be UP from 3.800 at least half the bandwidth you are running for transmit.

Half the bandwidth ?

Last edited:
Half the bandwidth ?

Yeah, good catch, the total bandwidth for SSB.

Running 2.6kHz, rounded off, about 3kHz on avg.

Running 1.8khz, rounded off about 2kHz etc.

So with LSB and lower band edge of 3.8, that winds up being 3.803 or 3.802

If it were an upper band edge with USB, the same applies in the inverse, you need to be below the upper band edge by the same amount.

SR385.....
Where in Jersey are you.....North or South.....?

I can relate to the cell phones destroying once secret fishing spots, it's done the same to surfing as well.
I couldn't tell you how many times I got up at the crack of dawn, paddled out at a good surf break, then sat in the water and watched all the bozo's up on the sand dune with their damn cell phone to their ear broadcasting to every kook in a 100 mile radius that the waves are breaking. I know I've got a good 15 minutes to possibly a half hour before the water is full of assholes paddling out in front of the line-up, dropping in on my waves, and crowding out a spot that only 30 minutes before, was a nice tranquil surf spot......

In as much as these internet DX clusters have ruined HAM radio, internet surf cams and wave forecasting sites have also helped to ruin surfing for those of us that actually live by the water.....

Sometimes modern technology isn't all it's cranked up to be.....

To be honest fellas, I don't even know what a DX Cluster is, I'm still new at this HF thing, but I have already witnessed what you speak of a couple of times.

Here is an example of a typical DX Cluster site. You can log in and enter the callsign of a station you heard or worked and list the frequency and a few other comments about the station such as "Working JA's only" or whatever.I like this one because you can click on the red callsigns and it will link directly to the QRZ.com callsign database.

Hmmmm didn't link as I planned. Just click on a band or click on "ALL" in the laft hand frame to see listings.

Ham Radio Deluxe - DX Cluster Analysis

Here is an example of a typical DX Cluster site. You can log in and enter the callsign of a station you heard or worked and list the frequency and a few other comments about the station such as "Working JA's only" or whatever.I like this one because you can click on the red callsigns and it will link directly to the QRZ.com callsign database.

Hmmmm didn't link as I planned. Just click on a band or click on "ALL" in the laft hand frame to see listings.

Ham Radio Deluxe - DX Cluster Analysis

What makes them particularly evil is the automation linked into the clusters. It's neat stuff, but it has turned DX hunting into a mechanization now.

Some software packages link to a cluster. They search your log and compared the 'spots' appearing on the cluster that would be from your own region. So they are only skimming for people local to you spotting a DX station to ensure you could make the contact.

Once the software figures out you 'need' that particular DX entity by frequency, band, mode etc, it can automatically set off a speech alert calling you from another room, send you an SMS text, an email etc, whatever. Some of them auto tune your rig to work the spot as indicated too. So all you have to do is sit in the other room, and wait until you hear your cluster call you, sit down and click TX.

It has built a rather large culture of people who otherwise never talk to another ham beyond 59 good luck and aren't really concerned with much else than just making the contact....no matter who is in the way.

Well...from what SR385, and QRN have described as a DX Cluster, I doubt I'll ever make use of one. If I'm spinning the dial and hear a DX station calling out, I'll call back, if we make contact...GREAT, if not....OH WELL.....

What I find confusing is the fact that a couple of these DX stations were hitting me with a 10 over S-9, and they don't hear me, but I guess when you got the rest of the country behind you with everyone and their brother calling to said DX station all at the same time, my poultry little signal doesn't have much of a chance.....

BTW...SR395...those of us down here refer to that area of Jersey as North Jersey......:D
THEMAP.jpg

Yeah, good catch, the total bandwidth for SSB.

Running 2.6kHz, rounded off, about 3kHz on avg.

Running 1.8khz, rounded off about 2kHz etc.

So with LSB and lower band edge of 3.8, that winds up being 3.803 or 3.802

If it were an upper band edge with USB, the same applies in the inverse, you need to be below the upper band edge by the same amount.

And I was half asleep.

BTW, nobody transmits ssb with 1.8 bandwidth for very long.

Well, they might, but nobody wants to talk TO them ;-)

You can't underfand watt they are faying with that narrow filter:laugh:

Southern New Jersey = controlled pine forest burning. If they burn the pines on purpose nearbah y'all might just be from South New Jersey.

Jersey is a place in England.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.