• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dx500v smoking

if the resistors are burned out of spec the bias voltage will he high,

when you combine the worlds crudest possible biasing with fragile fake transistors its only a matter of time before something lets go,

I am sorry you found out the hard way that Texas star are taking you guys for a ride accepting money for junk to keep their doors open at your expense,

a local recently ordered a new 500v from over there thinking he's getting the same amp he bought years ago,

we use FM he will expect 500w FM & i sold my beta matched Toshibas so i can't fix it when the smoke escapes,

it will be a very expensive box of smoke when you add shipping and import duty:(..

The amp is in route to Exit's place, and I'm sure he'll fix her up right. Now I just need to find my cutters and "fix" the ameritron. No more cb amps for this guy.
Glad to see it will live again!
Some cb amps do very well. I love my Palomar 300A, i have a Stickman 4 pill thats solid as a rock and ill take a 2 x 2290 Texas Star any day of the week. Unfortunately Texas Star had dropped the ball, several times and has sold hundreds of junk amplifiers and continues to sell more. Ill continue to scoop up the blown up dei amps as i can and have them re-built properly. Then they will go in the drawer for trades or some lucky radio operator after im gone...

Reactions: Slowmover
In the world of rf amplifiers texas star has never been "good" or even "fair". The only thing that has changed is the pills don't last as long now. There has always been a need to replace burned up parts, and they just aren't that great. From bias to filtering to keying, nearly every aspect of a texas star is lacking.

I personally no longer have a use for a cb amp, pills or sweep. No offense intended, it's just where I stand at the moment.

Reactions: Slowmover and Tokin
Not certain what you are hinting at, but I specifically mentioned pills (BJT) and sweep tubes. Even a 3 500z or FET may not be total junk, but it better be cheap if it's limited 10-12 meters.

For what it costs to buy new parts and build a 3-500 cb amp you might as well pick up a used ameritron. I don't like the 811s and 572b units. They overrate them as bad as cb amp manufacturers.

Reactions: Tokin
For what it costs to buy new parts and build a 3-500 cb amp you might as well pick up a used ameritron. I don't like the 811s and 572b units. They overrate them as bad as cb amp manufacturers.
The 811's are the only economical tubes left, and do very well when pushed within their limits. Just like everything, they have limits. If I ever decide to run AM or something I'd upgrade, but a 4 hole 811 will pump out 500 watts all day long on ssb. Makes me happy, and that's all that matters.

The 811's are the only economical tubes left, and do very well when pushed within their limits. Just like everything, they have limits. If I ever decide to run AM or something I'd upgrade, but a 4 hole 811 will pump out 500 watts all day long on ssb. Makes me happy, and that's all that matters.

It just seems like people on the ham forums are always replacing them. Four 811s only have 240 watts of plate dissipation. At 65 watts per tube they aren't much better than a sweep tube like the 6lf6 with 40 watts. Sweep tubes are fine if not abused or a dozen are put in parallel.

For SSB they are a fine amp, and you can get 811a's cheap enough.
I have had one for years now.
If you want a AM amp that is a different story.

Jeff

Reactions: 338_MtRushmore
People on ham forums do a lot of dumb things. There are probably more 811 amps an earth than any other tube, so it would make sense to hear from a lot of them. If you tune to max output with a pulser, load a little extra then back off on the drive, they run great. If you don't understand or forget one of these steps, you will probably replace tubes soon.

You know i used to like TS amps in the past,
they were good for what they were.
If you kept the voltage at 13.8, did not drive them hard, stuck a fan on them and kept an eye on reflect they did ok.
Most of the radios we ran were single final and they played well together.
Yes they should have at least added regulated bias, and some thermal tracking but it was better than Vern built class c amps that claimed ab bias and had none.
When the supply of real Palomar amps dried up TS was about all there was.
Now you don't know what kind of transistors your going to get or if the tune is even right out of the box.

Sad

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.