• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

DX66V front panel adjustment of RB and Echo

oil2gas

Apr 5, 2010
Could someone help me on two things? Do I have to use the RB? someone told me that i would lose power with out it on???/How do i adjust them both with out haveing someone listen to me or can i do it myself while in the truck/ and just listen to my speaker? Hope i have not confused you but I am confused. Get a lot of complaints when i talk to others?? Again plese help a newbie be able to use his galaxy the right way

Last edited:

Balderdash . . .
Just turn the RB switch off and tell the person that told you that BS "very funny".
You got played. A RB doesn't fo anything except annoy some radio operators and nothing more.

Don't use echo on SSB mode. Don't. Or else hair will start to grow out of your eyeballs.

But seriously. Use echo on AM mode only if you must. Just keep the level set low and no endless repeats. SSBer's get very annoyed when an AMer uses echo on SSB,

That's it . . .

Thanks for RB information and it will stay off from now on..........One more thing is on the Etone theri is two knobs , inner and outer? which is amount of echo effect and which if for the interval or repeat of echo sound? Thanks and your correct a lot of truckers complaint ab out the RB on the radio . Plese tell me what the inner and outer knobs do with echo/
thanks

Not really familiar with the 66. I have a 99. But I think it has a 'talkback' knob. This is used to monitor the audio that is being transmitted when turned up. It can be used to adjust the echo controls to your liking. That is the best way to do it and how to use talkback. Once I adjust the echo, I usually turn the talkback off. The talkback can caise feedback if you have it up too high.

Etone:
If it is like my 99, one of the two Etone knobs will control the echo delay speed. The other knob will change the % of echo to dry sound.
I hope that helps some.

You do know what the RB does don't you? it is a roger beep and that's what annoys people and I'm not sure if that radio has a talk back feature but if it does turn it up and listen to yourself when adjusting your echo and if it's running over itself then you can speed it up.

LEAVE THE R. B. OFF ! ! ! I run my 66 and 33 echos in a 10 / 9 position. Meaning: The small dial on the E Tone about 9 or 10 O'clock and the large E Tone dial on about 10 or 11 O' clock. Run the Mic Gain about 2-3 O'clock. Then you should be LOUD and Clear ! ! !

personally I am not a fan of echo or RB of any kind ...if it were me I would keep it shut down totally...but I am a hard core SSB user

I got out of CBs just when echo was first coming out and from what I have been hearing from a rare visit to CB land on occasion I am not missing anything

personally I am not a fan of echo or RB of any kind ...if it were me I would keep it shut down totally...but I am a hard core SSB user

I got out of CBs just when echo was first coming out and from what I have been hearing from a rare visit to CB land on occasion I am not missing anything
I can understand that.

There are a group of hardcore SSB operators on .385, but I'm sure that you know that.
Some local Ham friends of mine help keep it kicking in the Bay Area.

Last edited:
My turn.

RB has use in some instances, I personally don't mind it as long as it is a simple beep. I also have no problem with a simple key tone.

A properly tuned radio with the right Mic should need no echo of any kind. Most of the time echo is over rated, over used and obnoxious which in turn makes the operator nearly impossible to understand.

It seems to me that most people who use echo operate under the same misconception as they do about power, "if a little bit is good, a whole lot must be better".

RB has use in some instances, I personally don't mind it as long as it is a simple beep. I also have no problem with a simple key tone.

I can agree with that, although I did get ragged on for a while when I programmed the local 2 meter repeater controller with alternating courtesy tones........
Echo was fun on Sat night when the local guys rag chewed on Am on channel 20 , but over use wears thin when used all the time.
If you are struggling to maintain a contact under marginal conditions it is a deal breaker....ten fer.

Jeff

I can agree with that, although I did get ragged on for a while when I programmed the local 2 meter repeater controller with alternating courtesy tones........
Echo was fun on Sat night when the local guys rag chewed on Am on channel 20 , but over use wears thin when used all the time.
If you are struggling to maintain a contact under marginal conditions it is a deal breaker....ten fer.

Jeff

Agreed. (y)

Thanks and it works just like you told me to do BUT i did notice a difference if i had my messenger amp 175 off and then tuned my etone i could hear it great on the external mic but if i turned the messenger amp on the echo was not the same on the external mic? what gives ? thankls for all your help but please explain what i just told you

Jeff

I second that, RB is very annoying when the signal is clear but it does help under poor conditions.

Like going to the moon 1969: Apollo 12 (NASA) - YouTube

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.