• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

DX88HL Meter wiring

Cutlass327

May 1, 2016
NE Ohio
Ok, somehow I mixed up the wires. The meter would go backwards as someone would talk, so I switched the wires. Now it goes full swing as soon as I turn the radio on.

I have a red, a green, and a black. Originally I had red and black on (+) of the meter, and green on (-) terminal. I put Black on (-) and red and green on (+) and now it goes full swing.

Can anyone tell me how it goes? I cannot find the wiring for it anywhere.

one side of the meter goes to PC board ground. other side goes to the banded end of D12.
should only be two wires on it, but they might have used the ground side as a tie point for another ground.

so, meter all three of your wires for continuity, and you should find that one of them is connected to PC board ground.

another wire should should show continuity to the banded end of D12.

solder those wires to the meter.
the last wire you have should get soldered to the side of the meter you have going to ground.
hope that helps.
LC

Hey Cutlass!
upload_2020-2-28_22-4-41.png

Locate J108, Pin 67 - that is your S/RF Meter POSITIVE for Movement...
Black wire goes to G terminal back to J108 - see above.

The possible reason why your needle goes full swing is because you're sending Lamp power to it.

Be careful!
Meter Lamp does use BLACK at meter NEGATIVE Terminal for Return...

Locate J101 - Meters LAMP power arrives from 2nd Pin from Left - right next to 8V+.

Have Fun...

yep Andy's right.
that schematic can confuse you if you think that the bulb power is the meter connection.
look at the top of the page, not the bottom.
LC

That fixed it!

Now to find an affordable RF signal generator so I can set the receive better. I ear-balled it, as my meter barely moved even after moving VR1 to max, because the Rx was so weak...

According to the manual, I need:
RF Signal Generator with 27MHz AM and FM capability, Must have adjustable modulation %, Adjustable FM deviation, and calibrated output steps down to 0.1pV (-127dBm)

Anything I can be looking out for?

That fixed it!

Now to find an affordable RF signal generator so I can set the receive better. I ear-balled it, as my meter barely moved even after moving VR1 to max, because the Rx was so weak...

According to the manual, I need:
RF Signal Generator with 27MHz AM and FM capability, Must have adjustable modulation %, Adjustable FM deviation, and calibrated output steps down to 0.1pV (-127dBm)

Anything I can be looking out for?

I picked up a HP 8643A off eBay for about $200 (I think) a few years ago. Does AM and FM modulation and goes down to -127dBm.

If you can, find an operator's manual to confirm it'll do what you want before buying anything.

Reactions: Cutlass327
I picked up a HP 8643A off eBay for about $200 (I think) a few years ago. Does AM and FM modulation and goes down to -127dBm.

If you can, find an operator's manual to confirm it'll do what you want before buying anything.

Wow, you got basically stole that! Everything not "Parts only" is $450 and up!

Ok, somehow I mixed up the wires. The meter would go backwards as someone would talk, so I switched the wires. Now it goes full swing as soon as I turn the radio on.

I have a red, a green, and a black. Originally I had red and black on (+) of the meter, and green on (-) terminal. I put Black on (-) and red and green on (+) and now it goes full swing.

Meter wiring is a simple task no matter the color code just take a volt / ohm meter and set it to 15 volts and turn the radio on and check the voltage to the 2 wires .

one will be dead zero volts and the other will show 3-8 volts depending on the radio and circuit.

thats the wire you solder to the plus side of the meter and the other wire goes to negative side. Child's play

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.