• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

E-PLANE H-Plane

I'll give it a shot.Basically the E plane is the plane of the electric field from an antenna and the H plane is that of the magnetic field.They are at right angles to each other.When we talk about the polarity of an antenna being either vertical or horizontal we are talking about the polarity of the electrical field thus a vertical antenna has the electrical field oriented vertically while an antenna on the "flatside" has it's electric field oriented horizontally.If vertical antennas are stacked one above the other they are stacked in the E plane but horizontal antennas stacked one above the other are stacked in the H plane.Did I make things better or worse as for understanding it? :shock: :?

I was thinking that two yagis stacked and co-phase positioned horizontally one above the other and spaced at the edges of each antennas capture area would be called E-plane.?

And two vertical yagis stacked on a horizontal boom beside each other and spaced properly would be H-Plane.

I guess what I'm not understanding is the relationship to electrical propertys of E and H. ?

So weather the antennas are positioned Horizontal or Vertical they could be set up in either plane or what.?
If the two Horz. yagis one above the other were moved to beside each other on a Horz. boom would that still be H-plane.?
And if you then rotated the two Horz. yagis 90 deg. to Vert. would they then be E-Plane

I'm so confused !!! :idea:

first of all, forget about stacking. you can come back to it later after you wrap your head around this for a while. you are obviously reading articles on the subject and wanting to take a shot at it without understanding the operational basics and principles of a simple antenna. that and the terminology are creating the confusion you're experiencing. don't worry, this applies to all antennas, including your yagis.

every antenna, when energized by the transmitter, creates an ELECTRIC FIELD that exists in the SAME PLANE in which the antenna is oriented. this is the E-PLANE. in other words, if the antenna is vertically polarized then the E-PLANE is vertically polarized. on the other hand, if the antenna is horizontally polarized then the E-PLANE is also horizontally polarized. simple enough.

if we follow one cycle/hertz of transmitted energy for the full 360 degrees, here is what is happening.

at 360/0 degrees the transmitter and the antenna are energized and the electric field charge begins to develop.

at 90 degrees the electric field charge in the E-PLANE reaches maximum potential.

at 180 degrees the electric field charge collapses, generating a developing magnetic field charge in the plane perpendicular to the collapsing electric field charge. this plane is referred to as the H-PLANE.

at 270 degrees the magnetic field charge reaches maximum potential.

at 360/0 degrees the magnetic field charge collapses, generating another developing electric field charge and the entire process begins all over again.

if the operating frequency is 27 mhz then this entire process occurs 27 million times a second. this is how the antenna radiates a signal. this is the process responsible for generating an ELECTRO-MAGNETIC wavefront.

292 Radio Shop / FireCommunications Network

emifig2.gif

Very good Freecell I have a real good understanding of E vs H Its can be so easy with a great teacher like yourself.

Here's what confused me, In my Yagi's specs. they list two different stacking distances one distance for H Plane and One distance for E Plane, but I guess what I'm missing here is the referance point.? No?

the proper spacing in either plane can only be determined when the polarization of the individual antenna arrays (2 or more) has been selected.

when the polarization of the individual arrays change, so does the polarization of the E and H planes.

select the desired polarization for the arrays and proceed according to the instructions.

for example, if the arrays are to be horizontally polarized, E-PLANE spacing dimensions would be for a side-by-side configuration on a horizontal boom and H-PLANE spacing dimensions would be for a top-and-bottom configuration on a vertical boom/mast.

just reverse this if the yagis are vertically polarized. now you have all the information you need for a stacked pair in either polarization or a multiple box or bay type array using 4 or more yagis.

if you can read all of this and picture it in your mind while doing so then the instructions should become much clearer. if the instructions are well written then this should bring it altogether for you. if you have any other questions let me know.

292 Radio Shop / FireCommunications Network

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.