• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Early Cobra 148gtl no receive, no receive LED but transmits fine

kc8mob

Sep 26, 2017
I'm working on squaring away a Malaysian made 148gtl. It had been hacked on like most. I removed all the shmoo that had gone into the rig.

Now this is key. The radio worked when first on the bench, so the real question is what did I do or have caps taken a dump on me after a few hours of operation.

I have reflowed all the joints associated with heat, and the rig was working.

At some point I noticed I had to put lateral pressure on the 5 pin mic plug to get the rig to key up, not all the time but something was up.

I attacked the 5 pin mic jack pcb and after reflowing everything the tx/key up function was no longer intermittent. It was at this point I noticed my receive or idle noise from the dummy load was gone.

Now I have gone over the mic jack numerous times and it's not the mic, have a few and they all work on the other 148s.

There is no green LED for receive with or without the mic plugged in but the red tx LED fires when key'd. And it outputs as well, all modes.

I read about 8 volts being present at certain locations or being absent completely, but its generating RF so the PLL is good and said operating voltage must be present. But is it present everywhere it should be?

I design, build and service (If begged) vacuum tube guitar amps for a living. I've probably forgotten more about RF then most could hope to learn, but with that being said, I build tube guitar amplifiers. I need some help here. This baby is worth bringing back.

None of my local friends are licensed and I'm tired of carrot up the ass hams who live by rules and worship the government.. I need this thing to work so I can outfit a friend with a "Good" or effective rig. And yes "HAMs" I am going to give him one BIG ASS linear to go with it !!! Gave him one of my original RCI 2970s but it was too complicated for the poor bastard so this 148 is the plan.

If any of you care to or can give me some technical info, to do's, specs to check for I am more then capable of following directions and will really appreciate it.

I spent 2 hours searching for this issue. It was time to post.

Thanks for reading,

Adam
kc8mob

Reactions: walterjn

first step, check the DC voltage on the MB3756 voltage regulator pins, and post what you find on each one. (pin 1 is toward the back of the radio)
it is the 8 pin SIP chip that is mounted on the right side chassis wall more toward the front of the radio. (the one behind it with 10 pins is the audio chip).

the MB3756 regulator also controls the RX TX switching in the radio.

pin 5 is the pin that gets switched, and pin 6 should have 8 volts on receive, with pin 8 having 8 volts in TX mode.

if you find one of the switching pins doesnt seem to be acting correctly, unsolder the pin from the board and see if the problem follows the chip itself or the trace connected to it.

here is a link to a page with a bunch of service info and schematics:
http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/cobra/148gtl/index.htm

good luck!
LC

Reactions: walterjn

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.