• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

EASY WAY TO ADD SWITCHES TO A RIG.

unit_399

EL CAPO
Jun 17, 2008
ALEJANDRIA, COLOMBIA SA
Alpha_Push-pull_Pots.jpg

Many times techs will add a new feature to a rig (like a 10kc jump switch), and will disconnect an existing switch to use with the new feature. Other techs will drill holes in faceplates or cabinets and install toggle switches, which just reduces the value of the radio, and looks tacky too.

The easy way to install new features is to replace a control pot, like the squelch, rf gain, clarifier, etc., with an identical value pot w/push-pull switch. The Alpha potentiometers shown above are available in 10k, 20k, 50k, 100k,and 200k values and each incorporates a DPDT switch operated by pulling the switch shaft in/out.

On my TRC-457, I replaced the rf gain, squelch, mike gain, clarifier, and SWR cal controls with new controls with switches. I was able to add a tape monitor, 10kc jump, DC output jack control, cooling fan switch, and a keyup tone switch to the rig without disabling the ANL, NB, PA/CB features or drilling any holes. I had previously removed the headphone jack and installed a mike gain control with a factory 457 knob. So, the rig looks stock and unmodified.

I found the pots/switches on ALIEXPRESS. There are several companies there that sell them, but one offers mix and match if you buy 25 or more. At $1.44 each with free shipping, it was a no-brainer. Only took 8 biz days from China to Colombia, door-to-door. Probably faster to the US.

Last edited:

do you have a link to the site you mentioned. tried a search and all I got was clothes and consumer electronics.. have looked for these type of switches numerous times with no luck. thank you 399 if you have a link.

I don't have the info handy, but I found it doing a google images search for "Potentiometer with switch. " Mouse over the images and check out the ones that show a link to an Aliexpress page.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.