• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

eBay Scam: Kenwood TM-742A

W6CDA

Sep 5, 2014
Just want to give a heads up to the group if you buy ham radio gear on eBay. Beware of an eBayer by the name "greater_adventures". He had a Kenwood TM-742A for sale and I bid on it and won. The description claims the item was located in Sylmar; so if that's true it shouldn't take that long to get dropped off at the post office and sent to West Covina. Even if the seller had to pack it up and dropped it off Saturday, it should have been here by now.

Hindsight being what it is, I should've taken a long hard look at this person before really committing to buy this radio. He only has 16 feedback and 2 of them are from this month, pinning this person as a scammer. I know, I know, "caveat emptor". Lesson learned. I started the grievance process with eBay this morning, so we'll see if I get any response from the seller. Thankfully I bought it with PayPal, so I should hopefully be protected.

UPDATE: I received a message from greater_adventures today, so there still might be some hope. I'm taking this message with a grain of salt, call me a cynic, but until the radio is delivered; this seller is still shady in my opinion.

Dear xW6CDAx

Very sorry for the delay. My father passed away and I am still stuck in San
Diego. I should be able to get back in a few days and get it shipped. Will
drop you a $20 bill in the package for the delay. Thanks

-greater_adventures

UPDATE: On Thursday, October 30; I sent greater_adventures an email with the following:

"Dear greater_adventures,

Just following up to see if you have returned from San Diego yet? I have been more than patient and understanding of your situation. At this point I would like a refund of my money. I will give you the opportunity to go ahead and push the refund through, if no movement is made on your end by Monday, November 3, 2014 at 7:00a.m. PST, I will move the process forward with eBay/PayPal."

It is now Sunday, November 2 and I haven't heard back from him/her, and there has been no refund to my PayPal. Tomorrow morning, I drop the hammer.

FINAL UPDATE: I cheated and sicced eBay on them a day early. I just got notification that eBay ruled in my favor and has given me a full refund of the sale price and shipping. I still don't know if they were being truthful regarding a death in the family or if it was all a scam from the get go; but I was able to get my money back.

Reactions: Tallman
dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.