• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

EF Johnson 250-20 Low Pass Filter

Naysayer

Mar 6, 2020
New York
I have the EF Johnson Low Pass filter from decades ago. It is the model with adjustable air caps at each end of a cylindrical aluminum tube. I spent some time setting it up yesterday. I drove it with an FT-891 at 6w connected with two, 12" lengths of RG-8x patch cords into a dry DL.

I could get flat SWR from 10-40 but not 10-80. I could adjust the caps to get flat SWR on 80 but then 10-40 suffered. The SWR on 80 (3.8) when adjusted for best SWR 10-40 was 'a hair under 2'.

I dug it out from storage because I use the MRF422 amp on occasion and suspect it's not the cleanest device. Given that I do not have an SA, I'll leave it in. I would like to see a YouTube video by someone with an SA showing a filter in action.

After adjustments were finished, I noted some power drop. Not a lot but noticeable when watching meter (Dentron ATU meter which is general at best so it's hard to quantify the decrease). I can say that the drop is more of a dampening of peaks on syllables or a drop in responsiveness on SSB. On AM carrier I'll estimate 10% decrease?. In use, I never drive amp over 20-25w, the efficiency noticeably drops-off with more than 25/30w drive. In any event, the PO drop tells me it's working. :giggle:.

neil, NYC
n2eye

Last edited:
Reactions: Kristopher burt

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.