• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Elecraft K3 Review

The K3 is on my consider list therefore I've been reading many reviews and comments regarding the radio. I too have to echo the desire to see a USB connector into the radio as it allows for so much more advanced features and advancement of the radio. One can only imagine a design into the radio whereby voice recognition could be implemented say for a blind ham that would allow control of the radio's features just from voice recognition. This would best be implemented not by increasing the real estate within the radio but utilizing a Computer, attached, to do so. Additionally with the USB it is far more common today and shows no sign of being replaced anytime soon. Granted you can use a DB9 converter and associated drivers but how difficult is it to design into the K3 that ability? It also should be able to be done utilizing the existing slot/opening for the DB9 connector with a designed plate that would then have the USB jack on/in it.

I also realize that the K3 has the ability to read and display several modes of operating but would be nice if there was an interface (USB) with the computer whereas the computer could pass along text and the modulator be added (emulator) to the K3's circuitry in order for transmit ability to be included. Forgive my ignorance if that feature is there now but I'm still reading and responding before I've finished reading all the info/manuals. Thanks to everyone that has taken the time to post informative information about their K3's. I can see or envision why you are so passionate about your radios.

I also realize that the K3 has the ability to read and display several modes of operating but would be nice if there was an interface (USB) with the computer whereas the computer could pass along text and the modulator be added (emulator) to the K3's circuitry in order for transmit ability to be included.

I think you're referring to sound card modes? That can be done using the built in sound card interface along with the serial port.

This has been one of the finest reviews/overview of a piece of equipment I have read. Thank you for the time you put into it. I am sitting in front of my new (to me) K3 as I type. A P3 is on its way to me by UPS. This rig is destined to become my primary very shortly. The other rig is a Flex 5000A. Between the two, my cup runneth over. Elecraft and Flex have put the fun back into radio for me. Again, thanks for the fine work. It will be a go to resource going forward.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.