• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Elecraft KX3 Extended VFO Temperature Compensation - easy!

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
Last night I decided to perform the extended VFO temperature compensation procedure on my KX3. This procedure is necessary if you wish to run certain digital modes with tight frequency tolerances like JT65, or if you want to cut down on frequency drift while using the 2 meter module. For the signal source, I used my K3 transmitting 1 watt into a dummy load and just used a cut coax cable with a bnc connector I had laying around with the center conductor stripped back a few inches. The goal is to get a signal of about S9 into the KX3.

I must say that the whole procedure is pretty simple. After an initial calibration reading, you put the rig into the refrigerator to cool it down to 20 degrees celsius or lower. Then you run the calibration process while heating up the heatsink with a heat gun or hair dryer. As the unit heats up, you can actually hear the CW tone move into and through the receiver's passband and when it's done calibrating, you can actually hear the radio correct itself.

It's pretty cool and if you own one of these radios, you shouldn't be afraid to try this yourself to add some extra stability to the rig.

Reactions: bob85

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated