• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Elecraft QRP KX3 Finally released!!!!!

I'm glad I've held off on my home base rig purchase. I might just give this some serious thought! (y) I've wanted a K3, but can't swing it. So, I was leaning towards a Kenwood TS-590S. But now...:drool:

Any guess as to the price of radio plus options...

KXPA100 amp
KXAT100 ATU
Filters
Mic

$1700-1800 ???

They said at Dayton a basic model may be about $800

For the basic 10 watt version with one IF filter. But it's still a heck of a price if it has anywhere near the features of a K3 built in. The estimated price with the 100 watt PA and a few typical options, including an internal tuner is around $1700 or so.

Ok, so let me ask those that have experience with both the K3 and TS-590S...If I were to purchase the KX3 and equip it as follows...

Basic Radio
KXPA100 High-Performance 160-6 meter, 100-W Amplifier
KXFL3 Roofing Filter Module (500/1500/2700/3800 Hz)
KXAT100 Wide-Range 100-W ATU with Dual Antenna Jacks
KXAM3 Broadcast Band Filter Module (0.5-1.6 MHz)
Ext Speaker
Mic

How do you think it would compare as a home base rig with the TS-590S? Which would you prefer?

Antenna yet to be determined.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Ok, so let me ask those that have experience with both the K3 and TS-590S...If I were to purchase the KX3 and equip it as follows...

Basic Radio
KXPA100 High-Performance 160-6 meter, 100-W Amplifier
KXFL3 Roofing Filter Module (500/1500/2700/3800 Hz)
KXAT100 Wide-Range 100-W ATU with Dual Antenna Jacks
KXAM3 Broadcast Band Filter Module (0.5-1.6 MHz)
Ext Speaker
Mic

How do you think it would compare as a home base rig with the TS-590S? Which would you prefer?

Antenna yet to be determined.

Thanks!

First let me say that the experience that I have with the TS-590S is playing with it in the store. I don't personally have this rig. That said, there are a few differences that are apparent right away. The first is the price. Configuring the K3 in the manner you've indicated (your filter choices aren't valid, though) is going to cost more than the TS-590S.

The TS-590S is a great "bang for the buck" rig and has a well above average receiver. Take a look at the receiver test comparisons that Sherwood labs has published at Receiver Test Data. That table is sorted by dynamic range with the best on top. Note the TS-590's dynamic range results compared to the K3 and you'll see a significant difference. There are other differences as well; some more pronounced than others.

In my opinion, the two rigs aren't very similar except for their usage of roofing filters. Even then, the K3 gives you the ability to use more roofing filters or just mix and match to suit your needs. The K3's added expense can be justified by the additional features that come standard. These features include things like 8 band transmit AND receive equalizers and a TX noise gate (that's almost like having a W2IHY stack built in!). The K3's SDR design means that Elecraft is constantly implementing new features and improvements at no additional cost. You also get a rig that is very flexible and can grow with you as your needs change - the options can be added later when you decide you need them.

In summary, they are both good rigs but you'll have to decide what is important to you. I don't think you can go wrong with the TS-590S, but it's not nearly as flexible in the long run. If you are willing to spend a little more, go with the best-in-class K3 and enjoy a rig that you will have for a very long time, regardless of where your radio interests go.

First let me say that the experience that I have with the TS-590S is playing with it in the store. I don't personally have this rig. That said, there are a few differences that are apparent right away. The first is the price. Configuring the K3 in the manner you've indicated (your filter choices aren't valid, though) is going to cost more than the TS-590S.

The TS-590S is a great "bang for the buck" rig and has a well above average receiver. Take a look at the receiver test comparisons that Sherwood labs has published at Receiver Test Data. That table is sorted by dynamic range with the best on top. Note the TS-590's dynamic range results compared to the K3 and you'll see a significant difference. There are other differences as well; some more pronounced than others.

In my opinion, the two rigs aren't very similar except for their usage of roofing filters. Even then, the K3 gives you the ability to use more roofing filters or just mix and match to suit your needs. The K3's added expense can be justified by the additional features that come standard. These features include things like 8 band transmit AND receive equalizers and a TX noise gate (that's almost like having a W2IHY stack built in!). The K3's SDR design means that Elecraft is constantly implementing new features and improvements at no additional cost. You also get a rig that is very flexible and can grow with you as your needs change - the options can be added later when you decide you need them.

In summary, they are both good rigs but you'll have to decide what is important to you. I don't think you can go wrong with the TS-590S, but it's not nearly as flexible in the long run. If you are willing to spend a little more, go with the best-in-class K3 and enjoy a rig that you will have for a very long time, regardless of where your radio interests go.

Yeah, I was looking the prices over and see that a K3 (equipped like yours) runs $3299 + shipping. Tempting. Since I am limited on the antenna(s) I can put up on my lot (G5RV, dipoles, mystery antenna etc) I "may" just go the K3 route and at least be done with the radio.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.