• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Eliminating the channel muting in the old RCI EPT295013Z chassis

loosecannon

Mar 9, 2006
Hi all,

This mod will eliminate the muting between channels in the old school RCI 2950 radios, the old galaxy saturns, and the saturn turbos.
this has not been tried on any DX versions, and their PLL section is different from the old type.

The benefit of this mod is that you can now spin the dial looking for open channels without clunking through slowly because of the muting.

All you need to do is remove Q36. It's a 2SC945 transistor and it's located right in the middle in the very front of the PC board.

that's it!

Im surprised that i've never seen this mod before, as it would have been quite popular back when these radios were everywhere.
LC

just wanted to put a note in here that this mod is not the end all be all of turning your channel selector into a VFO.

It was pointed out to me by a friend that one of the reasons this chassis muted the RX and TX during channel changes was that the PLL took a considerable amount of time to lock once you changed frequencies (like 100milliseconds, not 1 second)

This prompted me to do some testing because just hearing static as you turn the dial doesn't mean you are actually hearing each frequency you pass.

I put a signal on 19, and spun the dial around at different speeds to see if i could catch the tone as i passed by that channel.

i could, but i could also spin the dial so fast that i did not catch it.

so, i still call this a big improvement because i was able to catch the tone while spinning the dial at a speed of about 10 channels per second, but faster than that i would pass right by and not hear anything.

so be warned that if you do this mod, yes you can get through the channels faster when looking for active frequencies, but there is a limit, as this is 1990's tech.
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated