• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ELITE LINE TX-5500

Oct 17, 2006
ALBERTA, CANADA
hello members can any one tell me how to removed or shorten the ssb delay on this amp( it has auto SSB ) delay switch but delay is way too long. thanks in advanced .......grasshopper1031 Attached Thumbnails

Damned nice looking amp you got there !! (y) Wish I could pin point you to the cap that would more then likely need to be lowered or highered in value to get what you needed. So thats' what the originals looked like ! Very nice !! (y) I would guess on the cap I circled , but IM NOT 100% sure about that.
elite20line20tx20550020ri3.jpg

thanks for the flowers SK., its a nice amp for sure, nice and clean audio especially on SSB. let see what the other amp guru will say, thres too many caps/ vrs to choose from lol, ....grasshopper1031

I think the VR's control the biasing. There's an electrolytic capacitor you have to change in the keying circuit to a smaller value to shorten the SSB delay, but unfortunately the picture isn't quite detailed enough for me to tell you which one. :(

-Exit

you more than likly going to be changing cap values. Keying circuits are pretty much the same...automatic or not... your still going to have a cap that holds the relay open for ssb.
I don't have time right now.....I can take a closer look at the pic or dig up a schematic this weekend if you want.

Take care

PLEASE do not adjust the VR`s in that amp, they do control the bias, there should be a jumper you remove to check the bias and then adjust it when setting up the amp. The image is too small but there might also be a jumper to allow hi/low drive levels. I am sure Bushwacker can tell you what cap to change.

Jeff

Can you post another picture, of the rear of the inside/rear of the Amp?
The Vr`s that are in the heat sinks for the bias transistors are for the bias adjustment. It is hard to tell, but it looks like there is another VR located to the rear that might be there to adjust the SSB delay, but I would like to see a better Pic.

Jeff

I have only seen Capacitors used to control these delays. Atleast your asking how to do it I seen guys say hey all you have to do is cut 1 leg on the cap WRONG!!!! If you cut 1 leg then you will lose your SSB delay all together and when on SSB that amp will sound like theres a woodpecker trapped in it and its trying to jackhammer its way out LOL it will chatter like hell and you will lose SSB. Im thinking that the Capacitor (CAP) is gonna be towards the back near the left side of the board Ill have to look at the pics or shockwave may find it first. Thats a great amp my friend I have one of the original Palomar TX5200 4 Transistor with band selector for amatuer use I use that thing everyday lately works great and sounds good best of all it lets me use it in the different Ham bands

Find the keying relay. Look at the connections to the coil. You should find an electrolytic capacitor across those two leads, somewhere ideally close to the relay.

If the delay right now is too long, replace that capacitor with a smaller value but with the same voltage rating. If you want a longer delay, use one with a higher value but still with the same voltage rating.

You may need to experiment to find what value works best for you.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.