• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Energy saving...can this really work

You do of course know what the magazine High Times is all about.I think the "inventor" was smoking some of his product.Power factor only becomes an issue when the load is reactive like transformers and motors.Lights are basically resistive.

a little black box full of electronic circuit boards encased in resin, modulates......

That sounds phat!
Better than a 5 wire resin-blob super-swang-thang-grandma-papa-modulater Kit.

The more electricity used to grow bud, the more electricity saved.

Kinda makes one wonder how many brain cells the author has left.

Jeff

Cheech said:
Thats some funny stuff righ there! A load is a load!!! Man some people need to lay off the pipe :shock: :LOL:

There are times when "a load is a load" is just not quite correct.There is a differance in efficiency when the load is purely resistive or when it is inductive.Most highly inductive loads have a power factor corrector built into them which is basically some value of capacitors that helps tp improve the overall efficiency of the device.I had an FM transmitter that would run about 8% worse in eff. when the power factor corrector capacitors were disconnected from the AC line.I had to disconnect them because,for some reason that no one could explain other than it happens sometimes,the backup generator did strange things to the transmitter.The transistor had several switching type power supplies.

QRN said:
Cheech said:
Thats some funny stuff righ there! A load is a load!!! Man some people need to lay off the pipe :shock: :LOL:

There are times when "a load is a load" is just not quite correct.There is a differance in efficiency when the load is purely resistive or when it is inductive.Most highly inductive loads have a power factor corrector built into them which is basically some value of capacitors that helps tp improve the overall efficiency of the device.I had an FM transmitter that would run about 8% worse in eff. when the power factor corrector capacitors were disconnected from the AC line.I had to disconnect them because,for some reason that no one could explain other than it happens sometimes,the backup generator did strange things to the transmitter.The transistor had several switching type power supplies.
Well I should have added for lights. I can see it afecting other things though like you metioned.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.