• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Engine Swap (Jeep)

Chumly

Feb 18, 2014
San Diego
I'm listening in to a conversation about swapping an engine into a YJ Jeep. I can't get in (tried a few times) so I figured I'd run over here and post my comments. I heard the conversation may continue tonight, so I'll be listening in.

I have an '86 CJ7 that I put a '96 TBI 4.3L V-6 and 700R4 automatic from an AstroVan in and I feel this combo is THE best for a swap, especially for California. I bought the mated pair for $600 pulled up in Modesto back in '06. That's probably pretty cheap since it was my buddy pulling a favor from another buddy, but use it as a reference when considering a V-8.

1) If you want to put a tag on it and drive around legally instead of turning it into a trailer queen, you have way too many rules to consider. The engine MUST be newer than the engine it's replacing and must have all it's emissions equipment moved over with it. That rules out carbureted roll-your-own builds or some older engine you may run across which may appear to be a better choice. This law snubs just about other consideration you may make while pondering engine swap hosts.

2) The other thing is that trucks must use truck engines and cars must use car engines. This makes no logical sense, but it's California Air Resourses Board, not logical people. Now, I know you can slip this under the radar during inspections, but if you run into an inspector and wants to be a dick by cross-reference the VIN and shut you down, the entire effort would be in vain. A Jeep is a truck and a Van is a truck, so no issues there. The van is a great source for TBI V-6's with the 700R4. The S-10's are obvious, but these are usually very high mileage and I haven't found one that wasn't beaten to death.

3) Considering the above, the V-8 would either be a dog TBI V-8 or the more picked through LT1/LS1 units. These easily have a starting cost of around $1K, are more complicated than the little V6, and there's still a transmission to go out and find. No problem with these engines at all (skip the TBI V8 though) but there's just that cost and complication that made me pass it up. The TBI is so simple that it's no different than a carburated drop-in besides finding a place for the computer and new fuel plumbing for the electric fuel pump's return line. It's also a common engine to find parts for. V-8 with the back pair chopped off. The Lt1's are their own castings and models, so you use LT1 parts. No matter what you chose, make sure you get the engine harness and computer. If you don't grab it, the alternative is just...hair pulling. It beats having a carburetor though. No matter what angle you're pulling, fuel is never being starved unlike carbs that can empty their bowls half way up a rock pile. Nothing more exciting than a roll-back!

4) Back up plan: have an out of state friend. Register it out of state, have the friend forward you any DMV mailings that come through, and screw all these California rules. Drop a V-8 from anything, put the tags on, and have fun. When I blow this one up, I'm going to be wearing Kansas or Oklahoma tags.

The little V-6 handles 35's fine with my gearing. I put an Edelbrock intake and snuck a Comp Cam's cam in (don't tell anyone) and the thing just came to life! The weak point with the 4.3L is the cam....it's just a bag of ass. The other drawback could be that some, not all, have balance shafts in them. Mine has one and it still shakes, don't care. These start at '94, but it's not a guarantee that, say, a '96 out of a van will have one.

With the Dana 300 twin-stick and some steeper gearing in the Dana44's, I just haven't regretted going this route vs an LT1. I've been to many great offroading spots in the US and it's always been my choices that I've kicked myself for, never the lack of power. If you want to know about my inspection journey, just ask. I'll be listening in!

Food for thought:
http://www.novak-adapt.com/index.htm
http://www.advanceadapters.com/categories/adapters/60/
http://howellefi.com/gm-vortec-products/1996-01-vortec-products/wiring-harnesses-en-2-3-4-5.html
4.3L infobase

Chumly
KK6MLG

Jeff,

All points are spot on in my opinion! I believe the 6 cly platform is a very capable amount of power when geared properly. The V8 option on the LS1 is very true and I noticed you put the links for advanced adapters. Great price on the engine and tranny and the 4.3 was one of my choices due to it's bullet proof history. I opted to rebuild my 4.2 I-6 to Clifford's performance specs then later added the TBI and Painless wiring harness. Plenty of power and with all the other goodies I've got on her she is a hell of a machine. At the moment I'm rebuilding again due to my teen age son bending a push rod. Not his fault as some research on the timing gear showed an oil pin hole while is in theory supposed to oil the timing chain, causes a drop in oil pressure in the front half of the cam. In short I (he) trashed the cam bearings, cam, and bend a pushrod and destroyed a lifter. Not really his fault but he was at the helm so I give him some grief.

The good thing in all that is now I've got that timing gear hole thing figured out and rectified and as soon as it cools off some more I get to put her back together. I also have an 85 CJ7 with 35's, twin stick Dana 300 with 4:1 kit and ARB lockers front and rear. I've had her on her side in Doran Canyon and she's not stranger to scars. Lots of Poison Spyder body armor panels and other parts and she's registered via your option 4 kind of lol. I should have her all put back together before Cuddyback so maybe I'll roll her out there for her debut to the group.

Solid advice you put out and I've been a die hard jeep guy since a teen ager. Hope to go beat up some armor with you soon.

KG6HQD

Thanks, makes me feel better that someone read and understood that long post.

Forums can be found preachy since its not really 2-way conversation like the radio enables us to do. It'd be much better if I could jump in on active subjects OTA & discuss my downfalls while I figured this out on my own.

Gas block drilling, Jeep re-engineering; there's just so much great discussions here. Teach me how to get on the Repeater from a mountain top in Alpine and I'll build it. I can tell many stories on how to not do things!

KK6MLG

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?