• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ERF-2030 mod help

El Phantasamo

High-Tech Redneck
Aug 6, 2010
Watertown WI
Hello,

I just swapped finals on my Uniden PC78XL to an ERF-2030, and did not receive the expected results.

1 watt dead key, and a bit over 5 watts peak.

I followed the instructions on CBtricks.com to the "T".

Do I have a bad transistor? Do I need to change out the driver for better results? Did I just waste my time and money?

Please help

A couple of things...

First, these MOSFETs are exceptionally sensitive to ANY static. Doesn't take much to cause them to fail when handling them w/o static safe guards. When they are installed, they are pretty hardy devices, Heat spikes are the only other killer.

The ERF-2030 can be replaced with a IRF-520. In fact, they are cheaper and easy to find - but are also susceptible to failure due to static and heat.
IRF520 Datasheet

First, these MOSFETs are exceptionally sensitive to ANY static. Doesn't take much to cause them to fail when handling them w/o static safe guards.......[/url]

Ok, I got a bad transistor then.
I had a hunch seeing the one I recieved was not shipped in anti-static foam.:oops:

I put my stock final back in, and Im dead-keying a tick over 4 again.

At least my roger beep mods worked;)

Thanks guys.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Tim Chambers:
    Pres. Bill 2 FCC mod just posted
  • @ AWP:
    Is it possible to be on a lake and have a homing directional beam being emitted from the shore so a person could navigate to that beam's source? For example at night to a jetty.
  • @ BJ radionut: