• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

erf2030's & SSB

davegrantsr

Oct 30, 2005
you're killing me guys.....i actually preferred the old look and speed....export section is gone & i can't find my question. somewhere i saw cb & export were combined, but due to slow loading i can't even find that. YIKES. if my original post is still somewhere, maybe somebody could direct me back to it? anyway....i asked if anybody has had issues with erf2030-powered magnum S9's & 257's? i own both, along with 1969 versions & there IS a BIG difference on SSB transmit. i DON'T like it. anybody know what i'm talking about? anybody with a solution? the radios do serve their purpose and i've found them to be about as good of an export radio as is currently available. the mosfet versions are going to change my mind if they can be improved upon.

If you could give a little more info on the type of problem you are having I might be able to help you. Start with serial number, description of SSB problem (I am assuming you are talking about transmit from the ERF2030 mention). On early magnums that have the ERF2030 finals some were not biased high enough, and that could be part of what you are hearing.. also, early radios have a very sensitive PLL section that could be affected from the higher amount of RF on the chassis.There is a change in the loop filter that helps this. additional shielding around the PLL will help take care of that. I think I remember you mentioning the Magnum 257 on your old post, And the radios I have seen almost always have had the bias set too low from the factory ( there is only one shipment of 257's in the USA that has been made with the ERF's in them. The 257 is made in a different factory, and they are just getting used to using ERF's. The latest batches of radios sound as good as the old bi polar radios, and put out more power.. You have to remember that magnum pioneered the MOSFET final, and there were improvements up till now that have made them better sounding, and more rugged along the way. That is normal with anything that is unexplored territory. By the way.. Magnum will "update" most older ERF2030 radios to the latest and greatest free of charge if you call them. Hope this Helps

i have no problem sending the radio back to one of sam's warranty centers(bob in pa), as sam suggested. however, he told me he doesn't know of any troubles as i described to him. that is what surprises me. i didn't want to specifiaclly mention the problem as i wanted to see if anyone else has noticed it. locally, it has been 'noticed', by those with critical ears. at that point i listened to my own radios to see what it was, and yes, i detect it as well. no, it is not a power source issue, nor an over-tweaked radio. enough to worry in a world of butchered cb's & exports? no. i know it's just a $170 radio and not a top of the line hf rig, but the imperfection on ssb is irratating, even if i'm not the one listening to it. this is a 1st batch blue faced/erf2030 257 from last spring. it talked tons of 10m ssb dx last spring & summer, with not one complaint of audio quality. it has only been recent local communications while testing an s9-80 where the issue was noted. i don't know if it was ever there before, or just not mentioned. it was suggested previously to check bias, which was my thought as well. guess it sounds like a plan at this point.

If you have a S980 Sam will have you send it to me. I am the warranty center for Magnum on the west coast, And have the most experiance with them. There are some critical bias adjustments, a part change in the loop filter, two bypass caps, and a shield plate addition. after these changes, You will be happy with that radio. It will sound very good on SSB and AM. Call Sam and get a RA number,877-624-6869 then send it in. Usually my turn around time is less then 5-7 days... Have a good night !!

There is a recognized ssb quality problem on the 980's with mosftets, but as been posted, there is a fix. I'd send it in and have the fix applied and I think you'll be pretty happy.
peace,
preacherman

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.