• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

European scanners...

trailboss

Apr 25, 2005
Gilbert, Az.
Several years ago I purchased my President Lincoln from Bander.com, so I decided to check in on their site and noticed the disclaimer;

If you are an American customer interested in purchasing radio receiving equipment you should be aware that all of the scanners offered here are European or other non-US models and they differ from the ones sold in USA and some other countries in the following ways:

Our Scanners do not include a charger or adapter for US Voltage, which is 110 volts. For the Uniden, AOR and Icom, we can include a 220V AC/DC adapter if you specifically request it. However, you can purchase a 110-volt adapter for your scanner at a Radio Shack or other store near you.

These scanners cover the entire 800 MHz frequency range, without any gaps unlike scanners now sold in the US.

Important: importing scanners or other radio receivers into the US that are capable of tuning cellular phone frequencies is a violation of the 1993 Telecommunications Disclosure and Dispute Resolution Act. You may be prosecuted for violating this US statute. Please read this disclaimer before ordering.

I have no desire to listen in on cell phone calls to hear about little Suzy's dental appointment, I can overhear that conversation at Albertsons while soccer mom is running her yap through the store....I do remember a few years back a couple political operatives just "accidentally" happened to record a conversation between Gingrich And Boehner and passed it on to scumbag congresscritter McDermott who passed it to the media;
RealClearPolitics

https://bander.com/eshop/index.php?...t=US&session=340317f3183a240ccd7c70a0deb50d0e

A couple of questions....

Does the customs and FCC enforce this law on importation?

Can the scanners sold domestically be easily converted?

FWIW, I always assume that anything I broadcast whether it be on the radio, cell, or internet is being recorded or captured...

All cell phone traffic in the USA is now digital and there is no scanner available to decode it.

A couple of questions....

Does the customs and FCC enforce this law on importation?

You pay your money and take your chances. I have imported stuff that was never opened and then I have imported stuff that was held for a couple weeks and inspected thoroughly.

Can the scanners sold domestically be easily converted?

No, not at all. All cell phone comms are digital and not analog.

FWIW, I always assume that anything I broadcast whether it be on the radio, cell, or internet is being recorded or captured...

That's generally good practice unless it becomes pure paranoia. :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.