• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

excess coax

SARGE

Dec 26, 2005
TEXAS
I have my tower up but this is just temp. but had my coax made up for the permanent install have about 20-25ft of extra coax. need to know what to do with the excess for the time being.thanks

FL Native

my antenna is up on a tower and the only way for me to do this is to take it down or climb the tower, does it have to be at the feed point to ant or can it be half way up.thanks for your help

SARGE,
If you've got the choice, it should be at the feedpoint. Anything between the feed point and the choke can/may/will radiate probably causing interference, if nothing else. Then again, If it were me having to climb the tower, I just hang it up so you don't get into it with the lawnmower...
- 'Doc

Hey Sarge is this extra coax causing you some problem? The extra coax is just a waste, but maybe one day you might need the extra length and in the mean time just put it out of the way.

If you wanted to use the extra length for a balun in 11 meters you will need about 23' for the balun, so you are pretty close to not having enough to really be effective.

What kind of antenna are we talking about maybe needing a balun?

W5LZ,Marconi,

My tower set up is temp but had the coax made up for the permant install. The ant. coax is not giving me trouble but wanted to know what to do with the extra coax. I thinking about making some large loops and tying it off for the time being to the side of the house so I dont get it with the weed eater. The reason asked is because i have read in a mobile setup to take the extra coax and let it run behind the truck seat but dont coil it up not shure if this right but it made sence.thanks to every one for there help.

SARGE,
The 'coiling it up' thing is another one of ~those~ tales you hear. For all practical purposes, coiling coax feed line doesn't do any harm unless you coil it too tight, as in very small coils, which can cause conductor migration, and deformation. For 'RG-8' size coax, anything smaller than about 4 inches in diameter is too small. Making a choke out of coax works because of currents flowing on the outside of it, not on the inside of it. You want to stop the 'outside' current, that's the one that causes interference. The 'inside' current is the signal, and nothing happens to it. So, unless theres another problem, coiling coax doesn't do any hard (inna truck, the yard, whatever). If you want to make 10 feet loops, no problem. If you want to make 3-4 foot loops, no problem there either... just keep the lawnmower and weedeater away from it.
- 'Doc

Yes i agree. Are you running your feedline under your house or shack then up through the floor ?If so i just spread it out as much as i can and try ont to kink it.

W5LZ, N.J.124,

I have my coax running out a little opening next to a windo a/c unit then it drops down about 2ft and then goes up the center of the tower. Today I made some large coils and hung it on the side of the tower checked everything with my meters and everything checked out really good so I think i will just let it ride for right now, like i said this is just temp. until I do the permanent instal. thanks to all who responded you guys are great.

Hey, if there's nothing 'wrong' with it, why bother making it more better, or doing more than necessar? Sounds like a good idea to me.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.