• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Export Cb radio power plug upgrade

Eldorado828

8-2-8 in the Lonestar state
Feb 21, 2016
The Lonestar State
Found this from Matt at the radio garage. Not his invention but seems like a good idea and his testing videos show good results as well. I researched and found they are commonly used in drone power connectors. Pretty cool, could be a good upgrade and bolts right up to the common 3 pin plugs. I may just order some from Amazon to try on the 29 with rfx.

Screenshot_20230807_190927_YouTube.jpgScreenshot_20230807_190930_YouTube.jpg

Got me questioning that 3rd pin. What is\was it's purpose? A forgotten ground? Can't be to keep from plugging it up backwards cause I have done it, notched plug, offset pins and all. Pop goes the diode.

Cobra, president, uniden, etc.. Do a search on ebay for cb power cord. Look at the pic.
View attachment 64971
If you have one of these, check it with an ohmmeter. Positive goes to the pin that's sort of sitting off by itself. Negative goes to the pin at the opposite end of the connector, and nothing connects to the pin in the middle.

It's like wjm1129 said, that third pin is there for radios that need a constant voltage to store something in memory. Usually those are color coded red for main radio power (gets switched by the on off switch in the radio), yellow or orange for memory power (does not get switched, because that would wipe the memory), and black for ground.

Just to make sure I wasn't remembering it wrong, I pulled two power cords I have that are set up like the one in the picture. One of these is a few decades old, the other one I recently bought for a radio that came without a power cord. Neither of them had the center pin connected to anything.

If you have one of these, check it with an ohmmeter. Positive goes to the pin that's sort of sitting off by itself. Negative goes to the pin at the opposite end of the connector, and nothing connects to the pin in the middle.

It's like wjm1129 said, that third pin is there for radios that need a constant voltage to store something in memory. Usually those are color coded red for main radio power (gets switched by the on off switch in the radio), yellow or orange for memory power (does not get switched, because that would wipe the memory), and black for ground.

Just to make sure I wasn't remembering it wrong, I pulled two power cords I have that are set up like the one in the picture. One of these is a few decades old, the other one I recently bought for a radio that came without a power cord. Neither of them had the center pin connected to anything.
That's correct, I haven't seen a power cord with anything connected to the center pin since I've been in the hobby (about 20+ years). That was long before my time anyway. I'd always wondered myself why the extra pin and thought if it had ever been used was for ground because of it being closer to the one used as a ground already.

I take it they still use the same plug because most of the cb industry still does. I prefer it over a cord dangling from the back of the radio though.

But maybe it's time they go with the one in the original post.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.