• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Extending range on ICom ID51a?

thercman

Feb 9, 2012
What replacemeny antennas will fit on this HT? The reason I ask is that the gps antenna is really close the the rubber duck. Also when using this in the house, what would you guys recommend for a permanent antenna? Maybe a dipole, wire?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

What replacemeny antennas will fit on this HT? The reason I ask is that the gps antenna is really close the the rubber duck. Also when using this in the house, what would you guys recommend for a permanent antenna? Maybe a dipole, wire?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

The reason they're so close together is simply that's the way that radio was designed. It's not hurting anything for them to be that close together. I don't know exactly what connector they use for the transmitting antenna (online manual didn't show it very well). For fixed operation, you'll want some sort of vertically-polarized antenna for repeater access. Not a standard dipole. And a short length of good quality feedline.

Hey! Yeah I know they designed it that way. :) I just don't want to order an antenna that has a base to large to fit on it. I was hoping someone might know which ones do and don't fit.

I'll do some more reading to find a suitable "base" antenna.

Thanks!

Looks like any aftermarket SMA antenna will fit. Most aftermarket SMA antennas will have a smaller base diameter and shouldn't touch or bind against the GPS antenna. I'd try a Comet SMA-24 dual band antenna.

I ordered the Comet SMA 24 from The Antenna Farm. I'm a little concerned about it because I payed extra for expedited shipping and my account shows the order is processing and I have not received a confirmation number. I also sent them an e-mail yesterday and have not gotten a response. Maybe it was shipped already.

I hope not!!!!! I specifically want it by tomorrow so I can take out on a wetlands study Thursday. That's why I selected 2 day shipping. I guess tomorrow will tell the story...

I just got a couple of ID-51 accessories from Antenna Farm. It took a couple of days for them to go out, but they weren't drop-shipped. Came directly from their stock. Price was at least 10% lower than anything else I'd found.

On to the antenna, I actually saw a listing for a hi-gain aftermarket antenna on ebay to fit several radios including the ID-51A. The listing included instructions and a photo of a "mod" needed for the antenna to fit the 51. The "mod" was whittling away the base of the antenna with a knife to reduce it's diameter. They actually posted a pic of the antenna base carved up to fit. lol Nice! I'm thinking that's not going to do much to maintain the radio's "submersible" waterproof rating...

I'm sure it's just a matter of time before Comet or Diamond come out with something made specifically to fit the 51.

Well they did take a few days to get it out which was frustrating considered I payed for two day shipping. I needed on Thursday. I ordered it Sunday night but didn't get it until Saturday. :-( With that said the Comet SMA-24 does fit with no problem...

You are correct that they do have better prices.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.