• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

External speaker recommendations

Christopher17

LongStride
Apr 13, 2019
Got the President installed wanting to mount an external speaker below it, thinking I needed amplified, looked an a non amplified mfj, and amplified and non-amplified uniden that we're more in my price range, reviews were mixed , any one have had good results with an external? my truck is noisy and hard to hear the radio at highway speedsIMG_20220521_150614759~2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

I will recommend one that was recommended to me. A kenwood Kes-5. It is built like a rock and gets plenty loud.
It is not amplified. I use it in my pickup and it gets over the noise from my exhaust with no problem.

I like the Uniden Bearcat BC23A speaker and most of the Uniden line. The BC23A is amplified, and it also has a volume control plus a noise filter button. Its super loud with the volume turned up. I use mine on any HT that I happen to place in the mobile. You may not need an amplified speaker. The audio amp provided in a CB generally doesn’t require the extra power, but this speaker will certainly overcome any noisy scenario. IMO it’s worth the little extra cost.

Reactions: Holydvr
I like the Uniden Bearcat BC23A speaker and most of the Uniden line. The BC23A is amplified, and it also has a volume control plus a noise filter button. Its super loud with the volume turned up. I use mine on any HT that I happen to place in the mobile. You may not need an amplified speaker. The audio amp provided in a CB generally doesn’t require the extra power, but this speaker will certainly overcome any noisy scenario. IMO it’s worth the little extra cost.
The noise filter is nothing special. It works about the same as most CB’s ANL switches do (high cut). It’s not the same thing as an effective Noise Blanker. The filter merely limits the highs the same way a stereo would sound with the treble turned all the way down. I seldom use it myself, but it does help eliminate some of the hiss or white noise.

Reactions: Holydvr
The noise filter is nothing special. It works about the same as most CB’s ANL switches do (high cut). It’s not the same thing as an effective Noise Blanker. The filter merely limits the highs the same way a stereo would sound with the treble turned all the way down. I seldom use it myself, but it does help eliminate some of the hiss or white noise.
Thank you very much!

Got the President installed wanting to mount an external speaker below it, thinking I needed amplified, looked an a non amplified mfj, and amplified and non-amplified uniden that we're more in my price range, reviews were mixed , any one have had good results with an external? my truck is noisy and hard to hear the radio at highway speedsView attachment 59089

The Kenwood speaker mentioned is very good, and so is the Motorola speaker, which is all over eBay in various physical conditions. I picked one up for $15 incl. shipping, compared it to my KES-5 and it sounded just as good, so look around and whichever model between those two you find cheapest - go for it.

Reactions: codeman
The commercial speakers recommended are great inexpensive recommendations. I've owned a few. The amplified ones are great in the mobile because they get loud. I recently was at a local hamfest, normally this ham fest doesn't have much and I've never spent a dime, but one time I saw two of the DSP west mountain speakers 50 bucks each and I only had 75 on me. I was heading to the ATM in the lobby and someone snapped up the second one.

I've always wanted to try one, but didn't want to spend 250 bucks. I now run this in the mobile and it does work. The only thing it struggles on is when 28 is a hot mess with skip or someone with a crazy amount of power mic or echo. IF that is the case there is the option to turn the DSP off and use it as a regular amplified speaker. When I am talking with a nice properly modulated clean signal it does a hell of a job of cleaning up any little static that may be picked up on the mobile end.

The other day I was mobile speaking to my wife on the base station and the audio was so clear and loud it was like being on a high def cell phone call where it goes VOIP.

As everyone knows that running a RCI 2950/2970dx has lots of white noise on ssb, but using a West Mountain DSP speaker can really clean up the noise.

I use one on the base and will also use one again in the mobile when "ever" I get one installed again. This speaker really makes the weak signals lots easier to hear and understand......

Last edited:
Reactions: Keto and undertaker
The Motorola speakers are excellent. I got one years ago when the Texas highway patrol was installing new speakers. Used it for years in my tractor trailer, and then sold it for more than I paid for it.
I have been using Moto speakers for years that came out of old forest service trucks, great communication speakers.

Jeff

Reactions: undertaker

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.